Should I let my 11 yr old have a snake?

My son wants a snake for his B'day..I say OK, even though I don't like them..My Hubby says NOOOOO WAY!! I have done a bit of research and I feel confident that he can look after it. soo I have decided that majority rules..Whats your opp?

I'm a little bit biaised here but..please don't!! If the horrible creature gets lost people like me- ie whimps who are terrified of snakes- may find them in their garden and simply die from the shock.

Ok, maybe I'm being over the top here.

I don't suppose they're as demanding as dogs ( can't imagine your son having to walk the bloody thing) but aren't they a pain to feed?

How long do snakes live?

Thing is,now that you've said yes you're going to make yourself very unpopular if you say no.

It also depends how strongly your husband feels about it.

Under the animal welfare act (2006) which came into effect on April 6th, your son would not be the legal owner of any animal, and therefore would not be responsible for the animal's wellbeing.

It is now illegal for anyone to transfer the ownership of an animal to anyone under 16, unless that child is accompanied by an adult, who shall be deemed responsible for the animal.

So- if you're allowing him to have a snake, you have to take the responsibility and ensure that it is looked after properly. This means that if you aren't prepared to handle it and clean it out then you shouldn't be allowing him to have it.

Not unless your going to look after it after around 2 months time.:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

How long do snakes live?

Thing is,now that you've said yes you're going to make yourself very unpopular if you say no.

It also depends how strongly your husband feels about it.

about 10 years I think!! depending on which type of snake he has.

Havn't told him yes..in fact I have said a big NO, anticipating the opposition..but I think it may be good for him and kinda cool !!

So do you have any idea how to look after a snake yourself?

perhaps the way to go with this is 'not until you're 13/14/15, and you have to know everything about their care first' - if he's still interested by the time he gets to that age, and has put the effort in, there's a much better chance this isn't a fad and the snake will actually be looked after

This means that if you aren't prepared to handle it and clean it out then you shouldn't be allowing him to have it.

I will clean it out no problem and I know that my son and Hubby will handle it ( even though he is against it, he does like them) and maybe in time I may get used to handling it..I think!!

I see no problem with it personally.

It cant be much harder than looking after a hamster or a guinea pig, and is definately less work than a dog. Plus its pretty cool and different.

The only thing i can see might be a problem is feeding it, as some snakes need feeding with mice etc. The quote that said that you would be responsible is true, but as long as he looks after the pet, and cleans it out, then there will be no problems.

If you are not sure he can, maybe try something a little less exotic and difficult, from say, a goldfish or a newt, and then when you are happy that he can take the responsibility move on to the snake.

Also, remember you need the full kit, such as heating pads etc, so definately research it beforehand

Stu

You can get temp pads which you put under the tank which gives them hot and cold places to go..if that makes sense!! in term of feeding, they need to be fed on average every 3 days, depending on size, with dead mice..which i am coming round too..they are frozen and you have to defrost them!!