College Essay- can anyone help with referencing??

Hi,

I have an essay which has to be handed in at college soon and am typing it up now.

It is a short essay on tissues within any organ of the human body and the only info I have written is either from my own notes taken in class, from the one textbook we all use and from Wikipedia, so I am a bit stuck as to referencing- surely I need more than one book to reference and how do I ref Wiki.. It says in my college handnotes if ref'ing a website there is no set way. I haven't copied everything word for word, I have used my own wording on a lot but not sure if I am doing it right?

Can anyone help?

TIA x

I'm doing an Open University course and I followed their instructions for referencing websites and put this in my assignment (it was judged to be correct):

References:

Website ‘Educause’

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7001.pdf

(accessed 1 January 2007)

Website ‘Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia’

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_bookmarking

(accessed 1 January 2007)

Just remember that you need to link to the exact page you used, rather than just the home page for Wikipedia etc.

I'm at uni and we have a handbook with a guide to referencing which says you should do it like this -

WIKIPEDIA, 2007, Independent Media Center. [online]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indymedia [07/2/07].

So that's NAME OF PUBLISHER or NAME OF AUTHOR, date of publication, Name of Article. [online]. Available from: url [date accessed].

I think that's a more thorough way of doing it but to be honest I think you only really need the url and the date you accessed it. I think there are various different ways of doing it anyway.

Hope that's helpful! :D

A serious point to understand is that Wikipedia has serious limitations as reference material.

It is constantly changing.

It may or may not be factual.

I can post a load of cobblers and if you refer to it before someone else edits it, you will have referenced to a load of cobblers.

It is far better to follow (to original sources) the reference links that good Wiki articles will have at the end of the article.

A serious point to understand is that Wikipedia has serious limitations as reference material.

It is constantly changing.

It may or may not be factual.

I can post a load of cobblers and if you refer to it before someone else edits it, you will have referenced to a load of cobblers.

It is far better to follow (to original sources) the reference links that good Wiki articles will have at the end of the article.

A good point. Wiki is often useful to get an overview of something before you look into it further, and you shouldn't quote from it unless other sources agree with what's being said (and prob better to use the other sources instead!)

It's the same with anything though, you shouldn't automatically believe something just because it's in a book, on a website or because someone told you.

You should reference and use as many different books as you can find to gain valuable extra credit. Only use the internet as a last resort and never use Wiki.

absolutely, wiki's site owner is on record as having declared the site as being corrupt data.

Guest Mod_Man

Hallam University told us we are not allowed to use Wikipedia as a source of reference at all. Sheffield College will let you use Wikipedia though.

Your best bet is to get used to the Harvard referincing system because it appears to be more universal than many others and is used in HE (if thats what you plan to pursue) Do a google on it and I'm sure you will find the info that you need.

Steer clear of Wiki, its w**k!

Your best bet is to get used to the Harvard referincing system because it appears to be more universal than many others and is used in HE (if thats what you plan to pursue) Do a google on it and I'm sure you will find the info that you need.

Steer clear of Wiki, its w**k!

I will second that.:thumbsup:

I will second that.:thumbsup:

I will as well

I think if she hasn't managed to sort out how to reference after 14 years there isn't much hope for her!