Herdings-Ridgeway-Charnock Hall Walk - Sun 13 May

Any more takers for this one? So far as I can see at the moment it's Taxman, ItIsNow, Neoteric, me and possibly Albert.

Any more takers for this one? So far as I can see at the moment it's Taxman, ItIsNow, Neoteric, me and possibly Albert.

Ahem............missed anybody from your list?

Karen19 is coming too.

Oops, sorry, Scubz, didn't mean to miss you off. :)

Sorry Parkwoman I have had such a mad week only just had chance to log on & to decide this morning whether it is to be walk or housework and as Scubz has told you the walk has won!! see you all tomorrow:)

Errr, Feargal, Scubz.. Guess what?? My parents used to make the chocolates (:love: :love:) at Ridgeway until they retired about 10 years ago..

I was their Chief Taster and ate all the profits until they banished me to Deepest Darkest Wales!! :hihi: :hihi:

If you do decide to go get them, let me know if they're still as good..

Really? Fantastic! I used to be a regular visitor to Ridgeway when I lived in Sheffield. I used to buy those chocolate flower shapes that came in little stacks wrapped in cellophane. Very nice they were too. This must have been in the late 80s/early 90s.

Really? Fantastic! I used to be a regular visitor to Ridgeway when I lived in Sheffield. I used to buy those chocolate flower shapes that came in little stacks wrapped in cellophane. Very nice they were too. This must have been in the late 80s/early 90s.

Thanks, Hecate, glad you liked them!!!! I'll let them know...... :)

I haven't been back to Ridgeway for a while, if you all do get to visit the centre on your walk, please let me know how they're all getting on!!!!

Because rain is forcast, I’ve decided to stay at home to complete and finalise a couple of outstanding items that remain doing after my previous activities.

If you do go down the hill from Ridgeway to Ford and turn right, along a short level section, then instead of turning left up the hill (Marsh Lane) take the lane on the right I’d like to know if a house is still standing.

From a distant memory about a couple of hundred yards (150 metres) on the left hand side, is or was, by the side of a pond. Outside of the house, were two large Black Eagle monuments, each side of the doorway.

This was where in the early 1940s, my elder brother, told all the youngsters who lived at the top of the Manor Estate during the war years, that Hitler had his Gestapo Headquarters. I’ve got memories of being frighten that a black limo would pull up and four battle ready storm troopers jump out with sten guns at the ready to cart all of us off to a prisoner of war camp in Germany. It made all of us behave ourselves for the rest of the day!!

Hope everyone enjoys the walk and decides when or if the Longden Dale Trail walk is to take place.

I've printed your directions to'Gestapo HQ', Albert, so we can look out for it if we go that way.

I have now got information on 2 walks in Longdendale each of which includes a short section of the Longdendale Trail below Torside and Rhodeswood reservoirs respectively. Will probably post something about them in the next few weeks.

Seven brave souls, ItIsNow, Scubz, Karen19, Neoteric, Taxman, Bystander and Parkwoman, set out on a dry but overcast morning and walked for about an hour before the rain started. Just light drizzle at first but gradually getting heavier until we all ended up soaked to the skin.

Due to my less than brilliant map-reading skills I think we added another couple of miles to the extended version of the walk, going via the edge of Mosborough rather than Plumbley and there were rather more ups and downs than I expected.

The scenery would have been lovely if only the weather was dry. Maybe one to try again on a fine day.

I'm afraid we didn't make the detour to check up on 'Gestapo HQ', Albert, nor did we spend any time at the Craft Centre but the Chocolate shop is certainly still there.

Well I have just had a bath and I actually think i was dryer in the bath :hihi: enjoyed the walk though, its always good to be with nature!

Well to say it was a very dull day Neoteric you have managed to capture some lovely shots!! Thanks. As for the BBQ i get your drift "feet":hihi: