Memories of Fox Hill

My Aunty and her family lived up Foxhill way Her Name Was Joyce & Len Hudson. They had about 5 children

We used to live at 5 grimsell cres so I might know you.

yes i remember you cos my parent's moved into 5 grimsell cres after you lol

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 19:49 ----------

My Aunty and her family lived up Foxhill way Her Name Was Joyce & Len Hudson. They had about 5 children

i knew len from community centre

yes i remember you cos my parent's moved into 5 grimsell cres after you lol

LMAO Small world.

That was 1987 I think. We moved to Chapeltown, and I still live there. My parents are both gone now, and my brother moved cities. So it's just me and my missus now.

i have lived up foxhill now for 35 years, and i live on the edgewells up near the backedge

I left Foxhill in 82ish. Lived on Foxhill Avenue, then moved up to Edgewell Place.

How fascinating, I'm Blanche Grubbs daughter, unfortunatly my mum past away 19 years ago at 47, I still have contact with some of the family but most I would walk passed and not know and I know that a few have now died but It's great to hear old storys about how life was in the 60s, any if any of you kind folk have any pic of any of our family or things that maybe of interest i would be so great full if you would share them, Thankyou for your memories x

I knew the Grubb family. Worked with Dolly and Greta at Fletchers. I also know you, Mick Davison. I recall you married Janet who also worked at fletchers

Hi kennsimmo, you would probably known my mum Blanche, she was head of the cake department, I think my uncle David worked at Fletchers aswell IT was a propper family affair.

Hi Claire76. Sorry I don't recall your mum. My ex wife worked in the cake department too and was once head of the department. As I said I knew your Aunts Dolly and Greta,. I went to school with your uncle Dave and recall another of your uncles working there too. How are they all? My Name is Mark Simmonite. Please remember me to them.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 11:00 ----------

He was my teacher when he passed away was Mr Appleby as I also knew him. Wonderful Man!

Used to play a violin

Have only just come accross this thread but someone mentioned a teacher at Foxhill school Roy Appley, I always thought the name was Appleby but I could be wrong but his first name was definitely Roy. He was a good friend of my late uncle who was also a teacher at Foxhill, Ernest Crookes, they were friends for many years and Roy used to come to our house every Sunday evening, I have a brilliant memory of him bring 2 recorders one night and he played them both at the same time but with a different tune on both of them. Roy sadly died of a heart attack at the age of 46, he suffered chest pains whilst at work and my uncle drove him home to Walkley Lane and rang the doctor, but sadly he died in my uncles arms before the doctor arrived. I am pretty certain it was 1965, Roy had another brother called Bill who emigrated to New Zealand a couple of years before and I always remember Bill coming to our house saying he had to shave off his beloved beard because he would be regarded as a tramp over there. My uncle left Foxhill shortly after Roy's death and went to teach at Athelstone school and the Norton Free school on Mathews lane, Norton where he stayed until his retirement. Sadly he passed away in July 2012 my aunt received many letters from his ex pupils including 1 from a young woman who used a wheelchair and other schools had written off, but when her mother approached my uncle he just said bring her in and because of his devotion to teaching she went onto university.

Do you Fox hill people remember Dr Nicholls, I'm sure you will she was a lovely character,she has only recently passed away, about a year ago i saw it in the Star, there was quite a large piece written about her so she must have been a well known lady. I was surprised she was only in her eighties, she seemed about 80 in the sixties with her plaits and harry potter specs, she had a surgery on Browning rd and one on foxhill drive?.

Oh yes she was my doctor & like you say she looked a real old lady in the 60s , she always called me our Ann such a lovely lady, a real sweetie.

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 18:02 ----------

i know john ,carl they had some other brothers and sisters cant remember the names though

I lived across the road from the Burkinshaws Richard,Eileen,Kathleen,Joyce, Albert,Yvonne, Johnny, Donna,some of the others may come to me later.

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 18:08 ----------

To judge from the Births index, 16 Grubbs were born in Sheffield between 1935 and 1956, all with the mother's maiden name Reynolds: Gertrude, Benjamin, Bernard, Brenda, Betty, Bruce, George, Sydney, Brian, Jeffery, Blanche, Dorothy, Barbara, Gloria, David and Greta..:)

I remember Dolly & Blanch at Foxhill school, Dolly was in my class, they were a very poor family but so were we.

Oh yes she was my doctor & like you say she looked a real old lady in the 60s , she always called me our Ann such a lovely lady, a real sweetie.

I lived across the road from the Burkinshaws Richard,Eileen,Kathleen,Joyce, Albert,Yvonne, Johnny, Donna,some of the others may come to me later.

I remember Dolly & Blanch at Foxhill school, Dolly was in my class, they were a very poor family but so were we.

Remember Gloria very well. :)

Does anyone remember the Wigfield family moved up to foxhill in the fifties father worked at British atchersons on Clay Wheels Lane.

My childhood was spent living on Bullen rd....I went to Foxhill infants and juniors from 1953 onwards and then to Meynell Rd followed by Chaucer . Anyone around then...?

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 08:31 ----------

Oh yes....my name then was Sandra Hayes.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 08:35 ----------

Some of my school friends were...... Brenda Toulson, Susan Crookes, Susan Travis and Julia Kendrick.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 15:40 ----------

I remember Dolly....I think!....I definitely remember Dr Nicholls, she was my gp from when I was born!...and Mr Crookes...I think he was my year 4 teacher at Foxhill school....My name was Sandra Hayes....

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 20:59 ----------

We could have been in the same class...what was your name?

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 22:03 ----------

I think Dolly Grubby lived on the same road as Dawn Gillot...the Gillots were a large family too...Dawn was in my class...does anyone remember her?...