Memories of Fox Hill

I am new to the forum and read all the peoples memories with interest, like

burnttoast I remember the cricket field and tennis courts. What is now a piece of open ground in front of the park was a cornfield belonging to the local farmer

Frank Marsden, another cornfield was at the back of the cricket field where the five blocks of flats are on Fox Hill Crescent, this went to the top of Back Edge. As young boys me and my mates used to walk through these fields and watch the skylarks fly into the air if we got too close to their nests.

The narrow track above Edge Well where the four cottages are used to lead to his farm, in the 50's the first cottage was a grocery come sweet shop we would go there for sherbut dips, lemon drops winter mixture on our way to Back Edge. Mr Marsden had two shire horses called Jill and Bonnie they were Mother and Daughter, each day one of the horses would be used to pull his cart to deliver milk to homes on Fox Hill and Parson Cross. Before he started selling milk in pint bottles he had four large milk churns on the cart and would ladle a pint of milk from these into whatever vessel was taken to him.

I enjoyed writing that, I have never done this before.

thats a great post welcome to the forum.....:)

enjoyed reading it too....:)

Edited by shaznay

The shops on Wolfe road were built in 1953, first was the co-op then co-op butcher, seperate shop same block, then Rastricks fruit & veg then Hadfields newsagents then Adams drapery then McGilfrey butcher and finally Dennis & Carmen Francis chippy.

I was born on Lyminster Road just before the maisonettes were built. The beer-off was owned by Richard Marsh's mum and dad. The dad chain smoked Park Drive as I recall. Raymond Burgins shop started life as a wooden hut selling veg from his smallholding then he moved to the new shops on foxhill road. He had a son called Stephen. I got my name and address taken by a bobby for playing in the foundations of the Fox pub that was being built. Feel really old now!

I lived at 180 Foxhill road until 1962,when I was 11,I then moved onto Winsford Road and lived in the house that was on the Fold.I remember going to Molinaris on Parson Cross Roadand pinching Tizer and Jusoda bottles ,cashing them in at George Marshes beer off and then back to Molinaris to buy Tizer lollies!I was young enough to remember the Estate being built on fields where we used to play in. They put the roads in first all over foxhill ,these were brilliant for bike or soap box riding!I went to Parson Cross school but unfortunately I passed 11 plus and ended up at High Storrs.

I remember sliding down Back Edge on cardboard,can you remember the smell of rotting peapods when they brought them up from Batchelors?

my uncle lives there has done for years small world the house has a river in the celler

I lived at 144 Foxhill cresent in the 90s but know foxhill well from the 70s grow up on binsted. Knew the Browns O`malleys Bottoms, O`briens and Johnsons, Mcphersons, Heppingstalls,barney , Tony Sinclair. Had good memories of playing football on the fields.

Edited by Dave Br

I lived on first block on crescent from 1972 and my dad is still there now. Our house had a living room upstairs with a bedroom and toilet and then three more bedrooms on the top floor.

I lived on first block on crescent from 1972 and my dad is still there now. Our house had a living room upstairs with a bedroom and toilet and then three more bedrooms on the top floor.

Do you know mark Thomas ,Mark Brown, Martin Bridges, Omalleys, Heppingstall and Tony Chapman?

anyone remember Deakins or Goffins ,, lived on foxhill all thru 60"s,70"s,80"s,90"s,00"s..........

anyone remember Deakins or Goffins ,, lived on foxhill all thru 60"s,70"s,80"s,90"s,00"s..........

yes i do went to school with raymond goffin his brother tony a bit older than me still see dave deakin down hillsboro now and again saw wendy deakin in fox on my 50th three years ago old **** not seen neal deakin for donkeys years i used to work with there dad fred at r w carrs gone now god bless him a great bloke there must be loads of others from that era you remember cusworths /smiths /parkins/womacks demsies could go on for ever chuck a few names in see what happens

raymond and tony are my uncles,,dave and wendy uncle and aunty, and neil is my dad, he just moved back to foxhill, lived in lanzarote for last 10 years...my name is tony deakin, do you know my mum christine deakin(goffin)...wraggs, wades, crockers, cant think of anymore at moment, u used to work with my grandad fred, wots ur name.....

we (the Gibson's) lived in the same block as the Goffin's for years. Susan was a few years older than myself. best times in the summer sitting on communal walk ways till late all mums n dads chatting n kids playing in "washing square".