Memories of Fox Hill

Do you Fox hill people remember Dr Nicholls, I'm sure you will she was a lovely character,she has only recently passed away, about a year ago i saw it in the Star, there was quite a large piece written about her so she must have been a well known lady. I was surprised she was only in her eighties, she seemed about 80 in the sixties with her plaits and harry potter specs, she had a surgery on Browning rd and one on foxhill drive?.

Do you Fox hill people remember Dr Nicholls, I'm sure you will she was a lovely character,she has only recently passed away, about a year ago i saw it in the Star, there was quite a large piece written about her so she must have been a well known lady. I was surprised she was only in her eighties, she seemed about 80 in the sixties with her plaits and harry potter specs, she had a surgery on Browning rd and one on foxhill drive?.

Yes; I recall her; although my GP was Jack Anderson, another wonderful character. Does anyone recall him? His surgery was at the junction of Wilcox Road - Halifax Road.

I know a couple of you remember these times!

MY CHILDHOOD

I was born in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England in 1939. Sheffield, once the world centre for steel and cutlery, has a population of just over half a million. The house my parents lived in when I was born was destroyed by a German bomb in the opening hours of the Blitz. My parents and my older brother and I were moved to a brand new house in a brand new housing estate, Foxhill, almost at the top of one of the seven hills (not brand new!) of Sheffield. 97 Browning Road was the address.

Oldtimer's post jogged a lot of my memory cells, but infuriatingly they are very blurry.

During the mid 50s I worked on maintenance for Marsden the butcher, he had a farm on Edge Lane, just before the road dropped down to go to Oughterbridge.

I remember working on the farm one time, Walt (cannot remember his surname)

was at the cattle market at Wadsley Bridge when his wife had an accident in the milking shed.

I pitch fork fell off the nail and went right through the palm of her hand.

someone on the maintenance gang rang the cattle market to tell Walt.

His reply was "Lig her down she'll be orl rieght"

Some people must remember this farm because of the smell.

Marsden used to dump all the old bones and leftovers from the factory at Malin Bridge

From about 50' away there was a constant sound, a sheeeeee sound and the buzzing of flies.

The sheeeee sound was thousands of maggots slithering among the rotten bones.

I was very popular with my next door neighbor when I was working on the farm. He was a fisherman

I know exactly where you mean. We as kids used to explore the derelict place which is on the bend right at the top hill, just as you get to the 2nd back edge. We were told was an old slaughter house. It must be the same place, it was later turned into houses which my sister in law used to live in with her family.

I remember Dr Anderson, plus, does anyone remember Dr Labib Botros, bottom of Browning Road?

I remember a huge eight wheeler horse box that was kept at the Marsden farm.

What was the name of the woman that had the little shop on Foxhill Rd/Edge Lane?

Where were the maisonettes? I remember a small row of shops almost opposite the Fox pub. At the bottom end was a petrol station. There used to be a small blue hut almost opposite the end of Lyminster road, you could buy fruit there, I think there was a shop there later that took its place.

I left Sheffield in 1958, only went back for a few weeks after I got out of the air force in 1964, so I hardly know of anything you are all writing about.

The mansion I wrote about was at the end of the lane opposite Browning Road

I know exactly where you mean. We as kids used to explore the derelict place which is on the bend right at the top hill, just as you get to the 2nd back edge. We were told was an old slaughter house. It must be the same place, it was later turned into houses which my sister in law used to live in with her family.

I can see why you used to call it a slaughter house, because of the bones but Marsden's slaughter house was at Penistone.

Old man Marsden, (William) used to drive a Rolls .When he called at the farm at Foxhill, if there was a sick sheep he would throw it into the boot of the Rolls and take it to the slaughter house at Penistone.

I did hear that Rolls Royce threatened not to sell him another vehicle if he continued this practise

I remember Dr Anderson, plus, does anyone remember Dr Labib

We used to visit Dr Panniker(sp) at the junction of Parson Cross Rd and Halifax Rd

See my thread 'Payments to Dr's before NHS'

I think Dr Panniker's son joined him in practise and later committed suicide.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I remember Dr Anderson, plus, does anyone remember Dr Labib

We used to visit Dr Panniker(sp) at the junction of Parson Cross Rd and Halifax Rd

See my thread 'Payments to Dr's before NHS'

I think Dr Panniker's son joined him in practise and later committed suicide.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Dr Panniker Eh! I recall him; hios patients were always in a flap! Seriously though; I do beleive you are correct and that his son did commit suicide; but I don't recall the details.

I am deffo going to go up to foxhill in the near future, I am dying to see the Back Edge and where the maisonettes used to be, I lived there from 63 to 71 and am looking forward to see how much it has changed, Will post back in the near future.

Hi Wardy, same question to you. I'm Mark Simmonite, lived on Foxhill Road, opposite the old cottages, I'm 53, went to Foxhill Junior and then to Chaucer Comp.

Hi Kensimmo Was your father a joiner called Jack if so Iwas a very old friend Arthur Fearnehough

I remember Dr Anderson, plus, does anyone remember Dr Labib Botros, bottom of Browning Road?

I remember a huge eight wheeler horse box that was kept at the Marsden farm.

What was the name of the woman that had the little shop on Foxhill Rd/Edge Lane?

Where were the maisonettes? I remember a small row of shops almost opposite the Fox pub. At the bottom end was a petrol station. There used to be a small blue hut almost opposite the end of Lyminster road, you could buy fruit there, I think there was a shop there later that took its place.

I left Sheffield in 1958, only went back for a few weeks after I got out of the air force in 1964, so I hardly know of anything you are all writing about.

The mansion I wrote about was at the end of the lane opposite Browning Road

Hi Oldtimer Iknew Dr Botris very well ,did a lot of work for him in the late 50ties he had alot of property in Sheffield , I think he was more of a business man than a Docter, he lived at Crabtree lane he was also my docter Arthur.