Memories of Fox Hill

I moved to Foxhill in 1970 I think. I went to Foxhill school, it was very modern then and remember the classes being separated with the blackboards that went all the way round. Mr Parkin was the head teacher and remember Mr Youle and Mr Mawson. I also know a few of the names mentioned, but they are a few years older than me. I then went to Yewlands.

Forgot to say I had friends that lived in the maisonettes. You went downstairs to the living room. The kitchen was next to the front door. Then two flights of stairs split the bedrooms.

I remember grass sledging on plastic sheets down the back edge.

I lived at 180 Foxhill road until 1962,when I was 11,I then moved onto Winsford Road and lived in the house that was on the Fold.I remember going to Molinaris on Parson Cross Roadand pinching Tizer and Jusoda bottles ,cashing them in at George Marshes beer off and then back to Molinaris to buy Tizer lollies!I was young enough to remember the Estate being built on fields where we used to play in. They put the roads in first all over foxhill ,these were brilliant for bike or soap box riding!I went to Parson Cross school but unfortunately I passed 11 plus and ended up at High Storrs.

I remember sliding down Back Edge on cardboard,can you remember the smell of rotting peapods when they brought them up from Batchelors?

I lived at 180 Foxhill road until 1962,when I was 11,I then moved onto Winsford Road and lived in the house that was on the Fold.I remember going to Molinaris on Parson Cross Roadand pinching Tizer and Jusoda bottles ,cashing them in at George Marshes beer off and then back to Molinaris to buy Tizer lollies!I was young enough to remember the Estate being built on fields where we used to play in. They put the roads in first all over foxhill ,these were brilliant for bike or soap box riding!I went to Parson Cross school but unfortunately I passed 11 plus and ended up at High Storrs.

I remember sliding down Back Edge on cardboard,can you remember the smell of rotting peapods when they brought them up from Batchelors?

I too lived on Foxhill Road -318; and aslo recall George Marsh's shop. Like you I recall the maisonettes being built, sliding down back edge and the smell from Batchelor's peas. You are 3 years older than me; but it's possible we know each other. Were the Hinchliffe's anywhere near you-the adress rings a bell. I

Most of the maisonettes have been knocked down but there are still 3 blocks remaining on fox hill crescent, i live in one of them!! My kitchen and bathroom are on the first floor then you go upstairs to my living room and 1 bedroom and then up again to the other 2 bedrooms, its a very strange set out but its huge!

My mum used to live on Foxhill road, can't remember the number, but it was the last row of terraces next to Cowper Avenue. My mum's name was Carole Marples and she lived there until 1977 when she married my dad. My grand parents Fay and Maurice lived there into the 90's. My auntie Gaynor and Uncle's Maurice, Keith and Steve all lived there. They lived next door to Mrs Thornsby who i think still lives there. So does anyone remember my Mum?

I remember the cricket pitch and wooden pavilion where the park is now.Also at the back of the pavilion there used to be some tennis courts.This was in the 50s and early 60s.The pavilion burned down in the mid 60s I think. Spent a lot of time playing football and cricket there at the time. Also remember feeding the horse in the field at the corner of Midhurst road and buying pop and 'spice' from the beer off opposite. Then on to the back edge to slide down the hill. Great times.

I remember there used to be a racing track/speedway track on the field where the community centre is now. I left foxhill school in about 1982 then went to Yewlands.

imy wife lived up foxhill until 1989,went to foxhill school,teachers she remember mr mawson , mr riley, mrs bowie,headteacher mr holding she left 1980 went too yewlands her mum still lives in same house lived there about 35 years.:) :)

Anyone here remember John Gascoigne lived 420 Foxhill Road, my cousin - used to spend hours walking up there from Browning Drive where I lived. Once left my baby brother outside the Coop on Wolf Drive! I went to Foxhill Nursery and hated walking past the corner house between Wolf and the road to the school(was it Foxhill AVe) used to believe a witch lived there.

Its great to read all these memories from all you ex Fox Hill residents, It really makes me smile to hear about all you lot who used to get a cardboard box and go sliding down Back Edge, I guess this was a favourite pastime of many of the kids who lived on Fox hill in the sixties and early seventies. I wonder if any of you who still live on Fox Hill can tell us if the Back Edge is still there, i bet there are houses now where the fields used to be. Please keep sending your Fox Hill memories to this forum.