E-learning what is it all about?

I'm starting to become interested in E-learning, partly due to work :hihi:

The problem I find is that it means so much, and different people have different ideas.

E.g. is it a teaching tool, or an entirely new way of learning

Does e-learning really help us learn?

Is technology driving e-learning or is e-learning demanding the technology to improve?

Just some topic ideas, what do you think about e-learning? Have you used blackboard\webct etc. and are they any good?

I've used blackboard and webCT myself and the problem I have with them is they are very much one way, here are some notes, download them.

Or is it good that they are one-way?

e-learning is basically learning something via an online system.

you could call it a new way of teaching as there doesn't necessarily need to be a teacher involved. Course content is upped onto the system and then anyone supposedly could learn from it!

Blackboard is ok, very versatile etc. but if your designing a new e-learning course i'd say best to look about, maybe even design your own / developing a cms system to go round your elearning material

I've just done a research paper on e-learning and while the access is good, some studies showed that users did not necessaily gain an advantage over traditional methods. Some research showed that users were encouraged to study completely electronically, yet they still printed off their materials.

E-learning in secondary schools is being touted as the next big thing but could end up being a disaster.

Employers presumably like it because it's cheaper?

alchresearch, your research sounds interesting, I completely understand that printing off does happen (I do it myself from WebCT).

E-learning doesn't seem to be fulfilling the potential it appears to offer. I guess people prefer to revert to old ways of learning (for comfort, if it ain't broke etc.)

I think the benefits of e-learning need to be uniquely e-learning and not just new ways of doing the same learning, as people will just stick with the old ways.

Do you agree?

I don't quite understand what is supposed to be classed as "E-learning".

I understand that lecture notes are now being placed on the internet rather than let the students actually miss the lecture and therefore affect the overall grades and reputation of the university. Though, I don't think that E-learning is effective sometimes, especially if the student needs to first learn how to use a computer even before actually reading and doing the exercises. It's too much to learn.

In a lecture, the lecturer delivers the material by a simple transparency and then talk around the subject vocally. Apparently, this is the best way for a power-point presentation or a transparency presentation.

Is technology driving e-learning or is e-learning demanding the technology to improve?

Technology as I know it has always been there to "help" us and not to replace us. It's there to improve things. Technology shouldn't be driving the learning. i.e. learn the technology first even before learning the material. It should be there to help us learn. i.e. have a copy of the lecture notes before attending the lecture say instead of jotting down everything that is written in the lecture which distracts the student from listening or absorbing mentally what is being talked about.

Thanks everyone for your views :hihi::)