How long until a paperless world?

With great sites like Sheffield Forum for local news, various news channel websites and newspaper websites etc.. as well as being just a click away from any subject in the world without even moving out of your chair..

News and film on mobiles phones etc.. sat-navs replacing maps!

How long do you think till there are no newspapers in the world?? and less tree's being chopped down?

Think it's well on the way - it is alarming the number of people who just cant read and even if they could dont read any books or newspapers.

Think it's well on the way - it is alarming the number of people who just cant read and even if they could dont read any books or newspapers.

I know what you mean, think thats more down to the chav culture sweeping Britain at the moment though. Beer, cigs & sex takes more priority then education and family unfortunately.

I think it's a long way off. With books for example there is a tactile pleasure in holding one when reading, being able to flip back and forth through pages, stick a scrap of paper in when you want to note something, being able to read in bed, on the bus, in the garden, on the beach without worrying about breaking a piece of expensive electronic kit. They've tried out e-books over the years and they've never caught on, people love their books more than ever. Then you get the strange joy of showing off nice cover art, 'posing' with the latest 'must have' novel on show to all on the bus etc! And, they are cheap!

Plus it would just not be the same disappearing into the toilet for a few minutes with the BBC news website on a laptop, can't beat a newspaper ;)

On that documentary last night on C4 was the shocking stat that now in the UK there are more homes with at least 2 cars than homes with at least 2 novels. A divide is growing - I know tons of people whose houses are like libraries, mine included, (and look how well bookcases sell in IKEA!) but likewise there are people who just don't have any books, which is very, very depressing and sad. :(

With great sites like Sheffield Forum for local news, various news channel websites and newspaper websites etc.. as well as being just a click away from any subject in the world without even moving out of your chair..

News and film on mobiles phones etc.. sat-navs replacing maps!

How long do you think till there are no newspapers in the world?? and less tree's being chopped down?

I don't think there will be ever a paperless world to be honest. Take business or a shop for that matter they all have to print a recept out which is paper. Even big businesses with the most flashy computer systems still have to have paper. The best way is to have better and more efficent recycling scemes that produce good quality printing paper and that more people recycle then there would be not much of a problem.

The problem is with new technology is if you have not got the money then you can not use it or sometimes they make it too complecated to use. To make things more viable and worthwhile. You have to make it affordable for everyone and make things simpler for people to do.

remind me not to use your lav.

remind me not to use your lav.

yeahi dont fancy wiping my arse with a computer monitor tbh

oh well the mouse mat eventually got used.

I get most of my news from the Internet. There does seem to be less bias, certainly when compared with newspapers.

I haven't bought a newspaper for ages.

I was in a newsgaents earlier today and the thickness of the Sunday papers would put me off even if I was considering buying one.

I do like reading books and will carry on reading a book in my hands.

I can't imagine reading a 600 page book from a screen.

A world witout paper will never arise.

Some form of tactile documentation will always be with us.

Before we had paper, all communication was verbal.

We have not given up speaking, since we discovered writing have we?

Much as the modern form of communication gives me ease of getting in touch, and performing business it will never replace the written word.

Nothing can replace falling asleep reading a book in bed.

And I can tell you for a fact, that if you are far from home, that a written letter means far more than any email, or even live speak by video on MSN whatever.