Anyone had a problem with hair dye?

just wondered as i have coloured my hair for years then recently i did it again and have been so ill. i phoned the company that makes the dye and they have not made any changes to it.

i appear to be allergic to most things as the doctor has tried so many drugs and nothing is working. just interested in anyone else who may have had simlar problems.:(

Yes, I applied the stuff liberally having forgotten that I am bald.

Hello, glad I have found this thread.

I had a 'Henna' tattoo done on holiday as a child and off course this was the black stuff not the real henna... (I had a terrible scar of a Dolphin for about 6 years!)

I too have developed the allergy to Hair dye. However I dont seem to have a reaction to blonde/bleach, but I look ridiculous with blonde hair as I am a natural brunette.

I am allergic to all the browns, red-brown, black, purple colours. After realising how serious it is to continue dying the hair and putting up with the shocking reaction, I decided to go to a salon and ask for advice. The salon have been happy to dye my hair (It is all one colour-brown) in big slices using foils and then covering the hair near where the foil would meet the scalp with cotton wool, and all around ears, forehead etc with a barrier cream.

This has worked for about 4-5 times with no reaction other than itching (I took allergy tablets before and after having colour applied). However the last time I had my hair coloured (always been at the same salon since receiving the excellent advice, service and patience) I came out in quite a nasty rash and swelling. I spoke to the hair dresser (salon owner) about it and she said she was unhappy to colour my hair again- perfectly understandable.

BUT my hair is dull and needs a colour, I cannot find these natural hair dyes anywhere- but even if I did im not sure what I can trust.

Can anyone help??

Hello, glad I have found this thread.

I had a 'Henna' tattoo done on holiday as a child and off course this was the black stuff not the real henna... (I had a terrible scar of a Dolphin for about 6 years!)

I too have developed the allergy to Hair dye. However I dont seem to have a reaction to blonde/bleach, but I look ridiculous with blonde hair as I am a natural brunette.

I am allergic to all the browns, red-brown, black, purple colours. After realising how serious it is to continue dying the hair and putting up with the shocking reaction, I decided to go to a salon and ask for advice. The salon have been happy to dye my hair (It is all one colour-brown) in big slices using foils and then covering the hair near where the foil would meet the scalp with cotton wool, and all around ears, forehead etc with a barrier cream.

This has worked for about 4-5 times with no reaction other than itching (I took allergy tablets before and after having colour applied). However the last time I had my hair coloured (always been at the same salon since receiving the excellent advice, service and patience) I came out in quite a nasty rash and swelling. I spoke to the hair dresser (salon owner) about it and she said she was unhappy to colour my hair again- perfectly understandable.

BUT my hair is dull and needs a colour, I cannot find these natural hair dyes anywhere- but even if I did im not sure what I can trust.

Can anyone help??

Your hair does not NEED a colour, think of your health first.

It's not worth the risk for vanity.

Your hair does not NEED a colour, think of your health first.

It's not worth the risk for vanity.

This is why I am asking for advice on natural products, if you dont have anything relevant to my post to say, please dont comment.

This is why I am asking for advice on natural products, if you dont have anything relevant to my post to say, please dont comment.

For your information, even natural products can hurt you if you suffer from allergies. Still not worth the risk just for vanity.

AND STOP BEING SO SNOTTY !!!!!!!!!

Hi, SheffDancer. There's an interesting article here about the problems with PPD in hair dyes, that doesn't seem optimistic about the industry's response to potential problems with it.

I use henna on my hair, from Lush and I'd recommend it - if your hair is naturally quite dark the effects will likely be pretty subtle, but it gives lovely condition as well as a bit of a colour boost. You can test it on strands to get an idea of the colour results but you can't really go wrong with it, it doesn't give the drastically different results you get with chemical dyes on most hair (although it will if your hair is very light or you have a lot of grey!).

How about Grecian, it's not dye but it still colours your hair ?

4 hours ago, spilldig said:

How about Grecian, it's not dye but it still colours your hair ?

If it colours your hair, it is, by definition, a dye.

12 hours ago, Halibut said:

My hair has gone from dark brown to white and I never used a dye. :help:

6 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

My hair has gone from dark brown to white and I never used a dye. :help:

Snap !

22 hours ago, Halibut said:

Not how it works though. Grecian soaks into  each hair follicle and alters the pigment of each hair so that each individual hair changes colour from the inside to the outside. It doesn't dye it,  It does it by restoring melatonin so your hair reverts back to whatever colour it was.