Sign in to follow this  

Audio CD playback problem.

Going slightly off topic here but I cannot understand the point of these copyright protection codecs when they are so easy to get around. Hook up a cd player into your audio line in and record the cd, tape or record player.

I have put most of my vinyl into my mac doing this.

Copy protection is a joke. The program "Alcohol 120%" can take a image of a CD which can then be ripped to MP3.

The only people that copy protection hurts are legitimate buyers who want to play their CD in the car or on the computer.

And, of course, the record companies because you could theoretically rip it and take it back saying that it doesn't work and get a refund!

Anyway, putting this back on topic: Modesty, do you have any spare hard drive space?

What I'm thinking is that you partition your hard drive and install windows onto that new partition. A fresh install would then tell if the audio CD will play. If it does then you know something software related has corrupted the audio playing facillity.

Originally posted by alchresearch

A fresh install would then tell if the audio CD will play. If it does then you know something software related has corrupted the audio playing facillity.

If the Adaptec SW linked to in my above post doesn't fix this problem, the a fresh install won't either (M$ licensed SW from adaptec for inclusion with all Win distros).

All you'd be doing is putting an old version of ASPI on.....

To Modesty:

Actually, thinking about it, have you updated WMP recently (SP2??) as this may have installed a recent ASPI driver, in which case you could try an older version of the ASPI drivers??

I really don't know where you'll find them though..

Originally posted by sccsux

If the Adaptec SW linked to in my above post doesn't fix this problem, the a fresh install won't either (M$ licensed SW from adaptec for inclusion with all Win distros).

All you'd be doing is putting an old version of ASPI on.....

Why? Modesty has said that all was fine until about a week ago.

Originally posted by alchresearch

Why? Modesty has said that all was fine until about a week ago.

Which is why my post continued.....

Originally continued by Me

Actually, thinking about it, have you updated WMP recently (SP2??) as this may have installed a recent ASPI driver, in which case you could try an older version of the ASPI drivers??

Which was, in a roundabout way, agreeing with your comments, but without the need for repartitioning, reinstalling etc.

Call it public self correction if you wish ;-)