Sign in to follow this  

Snow ploughs

does anyone remember schools closing earlie because of bad snow and the snow ploughs having to come and clear the roads back in the eightys when we could go sledging and it use to be really deep not like the winters now it use to be more fun back then ha

Snow ploughs were very common in the in the winters in the 40's & 50,s most lorries were fitted with them in the winter and chains were fitted to most vehicle wheels I remember going to school down Bellhouse Road wth the snow level with my head...and my mother told me that six months after I was born I contracted Pneumonia, and so that Doctor McKenzie from Firth park could get to see me, several of our kind neighbours dug away the snow all the way up from our house in Shiregreen Lane up to Bellhouse Road , so that the doctors car could get to our house...Great days in 1940.

Originally posted by Timbuck

Snow ploughs were very common in the in the winters in the 40's & 50,s most lorries were fitted with them in the winter and chains were fitted to most vehicle wheels I remember going to school down Bellhouse Road wth the snow level with my head...and my mother told me that six months after I was born I contracted Pneumonia, and so that Doctor McKensie from Firth park could get to see me, several of our kind neighbours dug away the snow all the way up from our house in Shiregreen Lane up to Bellhouse Road , so that the doctors car could get to our house...Great days in 1940.

do you remember when thy had to use earth excervating

machine on bellhouse road and it dug up halve the road

i went to shire green school till i left in 1944

started work as a milk lad on the coop

lived on bevercotes

might know you

all the best

Hi

I remember the winter 1947

As you say the snow was higher than our heads and on Arbourthorne Rd there were separate gennels in the snow leading from a path in the middle of the rd to the back doors. Our front door when opened was a complete doorway of snow. We used to dance about on top of the snow banks and it was rock hard.

My younger brother had just been born and he too had pneumonia.. Can't remember anything so dramatic as your parents ordeal tho timbuck. What a marvellous effort by the neighbours.

I know I didn't go to for school for 6 wks that winter. It was my scholarship year too.!

hazel

Dr McKenzie rings a bell, my Dr was Dr Pettigrew, do you remember her? Did she wear a wig or was her hair always done just perfect without a hair out of place?

Originally posted by brad

does anyone remember schools closing earlie because of bad snow and the snow ploughs having to come and clear the roads back in the eightys when we could go sledging and it use to be really deep not like the winters now it use to be more fun back then ha

Burst water pipes at school always used to close them.

I remember the winters from 57 >

Realy deep drifts but fun fun fun, without the sun sun sun.

Originally posted by coddy

Dr McKenzie rings a bell, my Dr was Dr Pettigrew, do you remember her? Did she wear a wig or was her hair always done just perfect without a hair out of place?

Dr Pettigrew used to live as a lodger with my Grandmother next door to our house, She didn't wear a wig her hair was always like that.

Dr McKenzie was a stout older bespecticled gent with pin striped trousers with a black jacket and waistcoat complete with gold watch chain and fob. I believe that Dr Pettigrew was one of several who carried on the Firth park practice after Dr McKenzie retired.

Yep, Dr Pettigrew carried on at the Firth Park practice with Dr Ridgeway well into 80's, the practice is certainly not the same now.

My sister and I always seemed to be the unfortunate ones packed off to school in the snow only to find we were only one of a dozen that had turned in and had to do boring lessons while everyone else was out having fun, or that it was closed and had to walk back home again. Happy school days.