Getting rid of midges.

Does anyone know anything about midges (I'm assuming they're midges - 3mm long with 6 legs and 2 wings? - fly around a lot!)

I seem to have some sort of infestation on the outside of the front of my house. They seem to be concentrated in one particular area of the guttering and bedroom window and are slowly spreading. As I type this in the upstairs box room, I'm looking at approx 100 of these things settled on my window pane (most of them seem to be mating - they do it backwards!) with plenty more flying around. If I look from outside I can't see anything unusual except for loads of these things all over the upstairs of the front of my house and flying around it.

If they were coming from the garden I would have imagined that the downstairs windows would be covered also but they're not???

I'm not aware of how midges actually live but these things don't seem to be there first thing in the morning and seem to disappear again towards the end of the day.

I know they've probably come out in numbers since the warm weather over the last couple of weeks but unless I can get rid of them, there's no way I can open any windows in the house.

Do they have a nest?

How do I get rid of them?

Anyone else suffering a similar problem?

Are they attracted by dead birds - wondering if there may be something dead in the gutter?

I've contacted pest control at the Council but they say as the insects aren't in the house there's nothing they can do. They also couldn't advise anything or anybody else to contact (great eh!).

Any help would be appreciated.

Better still is an electric zapper tennis racquet I bought from Poundland. You have the option of swiping clear, pressing the button and watching them fry!!! - Sorry I got carried away there!

get some bats!

We have bats, never have any flying insect problems. :D

No don't think they're thrips.

The problem with the gadgets is how do I position a calor gas Midgeater on my guttering or outside my bedroom windows. And I don't fancy standing up a ladder swinging an electric zapper tennis racquet.:hihi:

The other thing is I don't necessarily want to attract more midges from the trees or fields down the road.

I'm partcularly interested in the source as you normally find these swarms hovering around in the woods not my bedroom windows.

Once again by about 5.00pm they'd all disappeared but they'll be back for their gangbang again tomorrow lunchtime.

Very odd!

Seeing as no-one else has replied, thought I'd update again.

Sat at my desk in my box room this morning at 8.00am and there's nothing. At about 10.30am the first one or two appeared outside my window. 2 hours later and they're everywhere again.

However, they're now on most of the windows on the three sides of my house. I've been next door and they've got them on thier windows too but not as bad.

Every time I open the door to go out, some manage to get inside and that's the last thing I want to happen.

Incidentally I've found a couple of those carpet beetles mentioned in another thread this morning too! Not sure if thats related.

Would still appreciate any advice as I can't find anything related on the internet. Thanks.