Easterbrook Allcard Co Ltd

I worked at Presto Tools (Easterbrook and Allcard's) in the 80's and remember Bert McGee well - and his son John.

Bert McGee bought out Easterbrook and was involved with the day-to-day running of the factory. He was an "old-fashioned" type of boss who struck fear into his employees.

There was a "disease" prevalent on the firm called "macgeesia". I didn't understand what it was when I first started but it must have been something akin to sleeping sickness, but had the opposite effect.

Weary employees would dawdle about until someone cried "macgeesia" then they would all spring to life. It only seemed to have a temporary effect however :hihi:

They were tight gits the McGees - they never paid a decent wage

As for the girls - it had the reputation of a "knocking shop".

worked there six weeks in 1970 always remember it as penistone rd workhouse

worked there six weeks in 1970 always remember it as penistone rd workhouse

It was more commonly known as a bread-and-fat shop :hihi:

It did provide work for lots of local people though until a succession of different owners had it and ran it down, including Yanks who carved-up the more profitable side of the business.

I worked there twice! Glutten for punishmnet or what?

The work was boring and the pay was terrible. It was the workers that made the place. I still laugh at some of the antics we got up to, some thirty-odd years ago.

By the way, there was another Mcgee in the factory. Bernard, gaffer of the drill grinding Dept. A cousin of John I think. Nowt like keeping it in the family!

Gosh, I remeber Eric. He was a Flute Grinder and I actually worked for John (Jack) Knott. Your Dad will remember me. I was a big lump of a cheeky beggar at 17 years old!

An old mate of mine worked there in the 1960s..Pete Bingham, his brother was sadly knocked down and killed outside Dial House club when he was about 19. I went to his funerall and the church was packed out.

Pete worked there for years on a machine and I havn't seen him for donkeys years.

easterbrooks was at the bottom of our st hobson ave my mate tony and me found a way to get into the canteen via the river we used to take bottles of pop sup em and take back the empty bottles a bobby on the watterside road saw us came round on his and watched while our dads gave us agood hiding no uming rites gestapo then thank god the nick name for easterbrooks was bread and fat shop because the money was crap burt magee went toburton st school with 2 of my aunts

Edited by davebrmm

easterbrooks was at the bottom of our st hobson ave my mate tony and me found a way to get into the canteen via the river we used to take bottles of pop sup em and take back the empty bottles a bobby on the watterside road saw us came round on his bike and watched while our dads gave us a good hiding no uming rites gestapo then thank god the nick name for easterbrooks was bread and fat shop because the money was crap burt magee went toburton st school with 2 of my aunts

Edited by davebrmm

Just driving past Presto Tools has inspired me to join this forum. Its brought back some great memories and although i never regretted leaving the place the memories will never leave me.

I started work there in June 1977, left school on the Friday and Started at Presto on the Monday!!!. I remember there was this guy who worked in the time house, I think his 2nd name was Marriot and he was a special constable. Always remember this as he once caught me sneaking into Wednesday football ground for nothing.

His son worked with us in our little group of inducted new starters, with a guy called Mossy who stuck out like a sore thumb as he was the only one that had a moustache and looked well older than 16 years old.

This guy called Walt Hall was our teacher and mentor, always remeber his very strong London accent. Never knew what became of most of these chaps.

i worked there from 1968 to 1973 i worked in the warehouse putting the orders to gether to be packed i loved it i wored with two sisters kath and jouce one was team leader i forgot which one i got married then i left to work at fred hartleys

Just found this thread. Both my mom and dad worked here. My dad worked there from beig 15 years old. His name is Dennis Wilman. Does anyone remember him? My mom worked there from about 1976 I think.

Drove past the place the other day and theres only half of it left as you can see the old lane that went up between the old Tool Room on the left hand side and the medical room and the entrance to the Reamers and Tap shop on your right. I knew all these departments as i ended up in them all, mainly as a vagrant and passed from pillar to post.

The old gaffers in those heady days were John Childs, Fred Freeman,Terry Wood, with the Gaffer in the tool room being a little guy with white hair, whose name escapes me at the moment. I have certainly got no hard feelings towards these guys in the least, as i reckon apart from this type of regime never to be seen again, i like to think that the experiences gave me the life skills to deal with anything like this again, I mean, where would you work to the sound of a bell on the wall these days, as not even in a prison is this method of working adopted.

I worked at Presto Tools from 1972 to 1974 , i worked in the office with Clive Swallow, and in John Childs office on the shop floor, i also remember Mr Wentworth, the German lady called Lisa, who had the habit of throwing things around the office at people if she was angry . Also John McGhee, who never spoke a word to me all the time i was there, and a proper gentleman was his father , i think there was a lady called Joy who worked in an office right at the back of the factory, didn,t she win the pools.