Easterbrook Allcard Co Ltd

can anyone remember the girls in the inspection department? AROUND 1960 to 1965

Pauline Biggins, Teresa Morton,Jose Loy and a lady called Beatie who had a walking stick.

All maiden names of course.

I remember one of the McGee family who lived on Oldfield Road - I can't remember his first name (he had a daughter called Helen) but he seemed a nice chap; I often visited his next-door neighbours. In case it's of interest I just looked on findmypast.com - I found a Herbert Edward McGee who died in Sheffield in May 1995, aged 77; I guess this must be Bert McGee.

I worked at Presto Tools (Easterbrook and Allcard's) in the 80's and remember Bert McGee well - and his son John.

Bert McGee bought out Easterbrook and was involved with the day-to-day running of the factory. He was an "old-fashioned" type of boss who struck fear into his employees.

There was a "disease" prevalent on the firm called McGeesia. I didn't understand what it was when I first started but it must have been something akin to sleeping sickness, but had the opposite effect.

Weary employees would dawdle about until someone cried "McGeesia" then they would all spring to life. It only seemed to have a temporary effect however :hihi:

They were tight gits the McGees - they never paid a decent wage

As for the girls - it had the reputation of a "knocking shop".

Well! I remember working for Easterbrook and Allcard,. I think around 68-69. I worked in the export office which was located on the roof. If by any chance you was caught in the lift the boss would make you walk back down the stairs and back up. It was like a concentration camp. The office manager cant remember his name used to sit just watching. If the typing wasent up to his standard or the export logo was drawn wrong he used to make you type it over again some times 16 copies. Only stayed 3 months was glad to get out of there.

can anyone remember the girls in the inspection department? AROUND 1960 to 1965

Pauline Biggins, Teresa Morton,Jose Loy and a lady called Beatie who had a walking stick.

All maiden names of course.

Trevor Biggins worked in the Toolroom at Presto's, he'd be in his early 60's now. His sister Pat used to be in my class at Langsett Rd. (Burton St.) school. The family, in the 50's, used to live somewhere near the bottom of Burton St.

My dad worked there for years his name is Eric lambert he is 81 now. Also jack knott he is in his eighties now think he was a foreman back in the day.

My dad worked there for around 20/30 year.

my grandad David Bailey worked there for donkeys years, he sadly passed away last year :cry:

One of my neighbours in Owlerton worked at Easterbrook and Allcards.

His name was Fred Harrison, a wonderful artist but very shy about his talent, does anyone remember him?

Happy Days! PopT

The name Fred Harrison sounds familiar, can't say that I remember him though.

I left in 1990, after working in the maintenance department for 10 years.

Some of my 'better half's' family work there at some time...........Ivy Sullivan, Pat Pemberton. Carol Hobson, Pete Sherwin.

I worked with Pete in the maintenance dept, he retired a few years ago, how is he these days?

my grandad David Bailey worked there for donkeys years, he sadly passed away last year :cry:

Sorry to hear that, I remember your grandad, he was foreman in the heat treatment dept when I was there and retired around 1990ish I think, good bloke, always kind and smiling but also a laugh and took the pi$$ out of others as we all did

I could tell you loads of stories - some funny and some sad - about Presto Tools. I did a trip with old Stanley Allcard in the early 80s when he took me to the Gulf States - we arrived in Kuwait and the customs official confiscated a full bottle of Black Label and left him with a minature bottle of brandy and said "sorry Sir, you're only allowed one bottle!" (we could get a bottle through in those days)

There must be lots of people around who worked at Easterbrooks, and who have memories of their time there. Tell us some tales of what it was like working for Bert McGhee and suchlike! How about some memories from the girls who worked in the Inspection Dept?