What do you think about suicide?

i personaly think suicide should only be used if the other alternative is a much worse way to go. for eg. being traped somewhere with no food or water or being in a lot of pain that was never going to end and death was a 100 per cent out come.

The main problem with a lot of people's judgement of suicide is in assuming that it is somehow connected to cold rational logical thinking. It almost never is. If you've never been there yourself you have no place judging people who have 'decided' to end their life. They didn't sit down and write a list of pros and cons, their entire mental state was completely distorted and divorced from anything most people think of as 'thought and feeling'. Until people understand that then suicide will always be misunderstood.

Sure, and I totally agree with you.

I was just highlighting the fact of the government's need to control every facet of our lives (and death), which is pretty sick in my book, but there you go, that's governemts for you.

Your life is your own (obvious statement if you think about it), you should have the right to end it, if you choose to do so. Though of course, a deeply complex issue, still, I detest the way the government treats us like cattle.

To be fair to the government (which I certainly consider to be markedly too authoritarian in many ways) I think the current difficulties with accepting euthanasia are less a reflection of the desires of those currently in office than a hangover from the pernicious influence Christianity has had on such issues in our society. An influence which thankfully seems to be waning and which will hopefully be overcome, on this issue atleast, in the near future.

i personaly think suicide should only be used if the other alternative is a much worse way to go. for eg. being traped somewhere with no food or water or being in a lot of pain that was never going to end and death was a 100 per cent out come.

When you make the decision to stop living, surely it's precisely because staying alive seems unbearable, and in some cases it can be painful and slow agony from a terrible disease which you are referring to, and sometimes it's an overwhelming feeling of constant unhappiness, no matter how many precious things you have around you- loving family, health and material comfort.

I am lucky because I haven't experienced anything like this before, and maybe I'm just having a wild guess, but it makes sense to me that your state of mind is so ****ed up that you just CAN'T find the will to carry on.

But like I said before I have little sympathy for "cries for help" , especially if they involve strangers who will have to live with that traumatic experience for ever.

I think we've all been through rough times, I certainly have, and my cries for help have always been talking to a friend and/ or a GP or two, who eventually accepted to refer me to professionals and I've been doing well since.

However, I do appreciate that it's OK for me to do that since I am female, but unfortunately there's still that stigma attached to men who cry and want some medical help.

It's sad really. I don't know what the situation is in the UK but I remember being told by doctors and Sociology teachers that the suicide rate tends to be higher for males..because they're not supposed to ask for help?

The reason Suicide is a tricky subject is because the real people who know what the reasons are behind it are obviously not there to tell us what they feel when it has been done.

How can any1 really say whats right or wrong with it as no one what so ever in this world can say they have experianced it personally.

Only the people underground know the real truth.

The reason Suicide is a tricky subject is because the real people who know what the reasons are behind it are obviously not there to tell us what they feel when it has been done.

How can any1 really say whats right or wrong with it as no one what so ever in this world can say they have experianced it personally.

Only the people underground know the real truth.

You do get a few failed suicides who genuinely meant it, maybe we should be asking them for advice on how to treat it and how to avoid it ever getting that bad.

Good link pooch - thanks!

You are very welcome, I hope that some may benefit from the forum.

I would appreciate it if you don't jump to conclusion and assume that it was a direct reply to your post.

I said it was irrelevant because I wrote something which was too personal, and I thought it was really irrelevant to this, and people should not need to know. I'm not that stupid to give some people more ammunition to play with.

Judging from some of the responses elsewhere, I do think that there is a true lack of empathy in society which addresses such issues on a serious note.

I hope that answers your post directly. I normally quote people's post if I want to respond to them directly. I hope that clears it for yourself.

==========================================================

It is hardly 'jumping to conclusions' when a single word, in this case 'irrelevant'

appears directly after my post, for me to entertain the possibility that you are referring to MY post.

My advice to you , if you should ever wish to edit your post down to one word is edit the whole post - save confusion.

==========================================================

It is hardly 'jumping to conclusions' when a single word, in this case 'irrelevant'

appears directly after my post, for me to entertain the possibility that you are referring to MY post.

My advice to you , if you should ever wish to edit your post down to one word is edit the whole post - save confusion.

If you have an understanding of the medium which you use to express yourself. I have to type a word which is long enough to fit the silly box.

Good day to you Sir!

If you have an understanding of the medium which you use to express yourself. I have to type a word which is long enough to fit the silly box.

Good day to you Sir!

Words like, 'holes' and 'deeper' spring to mind. Try using my method as demonstrated above,

Well since I got absolutely slated for it the last time - BUT I'll say it again anyway :D

Suicide - however you go about it is SELFISH, especially if done in a public place, or where your family can find you.

Well since I got absolutely slated for it the last time - BUT I'll say it again anyway :D

Suicide - however you go about it is SELFISH, especially if done in a public place, or where your family can find you.

You were slated for that?

Its the most sensible thing Ive seen for a long time, its just common sense so .. whats wrong with it? whats wrong with saying that? How can anyone find anything wrong with it?