What do you think about suicide?

Guest Mod_Man

I think anyone who commits suicide must be both in a very dark world and very brave. It's sad that people feel like they have to prematurely end the one chance at life they had. Whilst I don't think we have any right to stop someone taking their life if they wish, I really do sympathise with the loved ones who can be left behind.

I had a turbulent childhood due to the effects of mental illness. I remember on regular occasion hearing members of my family talk about how they were going to end it all, I witnessed several failed attempts and even went as far as watching a Doctor and the Police coax my Father from jumping from a high rise flat. I have seen my fair share of cut arms too (though never in the right place), I have a relative now who has "had enough" everyday and loves to remind us of how she is going to kill herself.

Now whilst I understand that when people are mentally ill they can do some drastic things, I must say that now I get really annoyed at people who tell the world what they are going to do and then not do it. I'm afraid I am now of the opinion that if you're going to do it, just do it and keep quiet.

I agree with you there. If you are going to do it, just do it. If you dont do it then, you will do it some other time.

Euthanasia - Bad.

It's selfish and cowardly - No matter how bad things are. This is a subject that's quite close to my heart so I'm looking forward to what people have to say, and if anyone agrees with suicide in any form - I'd love to know why.

GazB

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to think that suicide is a matter of courage ( as in taking the step to finish your life once and for all) or cowardice ( as in refusing to face up to your problems and leaving people behind)

Surely it's a matter of sheer despair?

What does it take for a human being to tell themselves " I just don't want to live any more?"

I can't even imagine what it must feel like.

Having said that, the person who left a note under someone's door did behave selfishly because if you really want to kill yourself, surely you don't take the chance of someone finding out and possibly rescuing you.

My mum tried to kill herself twice, the second time she was pregnant with my sister, as far as I know on both occasions she knew full well my dad was due back any time.

She's got bipolar disorder and I have no idea why I'm not mad at her.

Probably because she's always been miserable and it's a lot easier to be angry at someone who is healthy and happy than to be mad as someone who's already going through hell.

Her brother did kill himself though.

Again, can't be mad at him even though he left three young kids behind, simply because I know how much he loved them, and again I'm wondering what it takes for someone to do that. Is it because they genuinely think that by staying alive they are actually being a burden or a danger to their loved ones?

Its the state of your mind what really makes you do anything.

Theres nothing natural about taking your own life.

My mum commited suicide off mickley flats on norfork park when i was 2 years old,then when i was about 9 my auntie (my mums sister) did the same thing off kelvin flats, if any1 knows i know.

Thats awful for you. Has it affected you in any way ?

I hope not i have 2 little boys at 2 and 4 and a little girl on the way.

It made me realise life is worth cherishing.

It sounds like you're determined not to go down the same route, and I agree with you when you say that people commit suicide because of the state of their mind, I tend to believe that your life experience and what you have or don't have is irrelevant- even though there must be some people who do lose the will to live after a traumatic experience or because they're in a lot of physical pain, but in most cases your instinct is to stay alive no matter what.

I have three members of my family who have tried to do it, 3/3 siblings; one of which suceeded. :| It caused my aunty to have a nervous breakdown as they were cries for help. The day he gassed himself, ( the seventies) she was supposed to visit him. It was bad weather, the buses stopped running and she couldn't go but he had no phone to let him know. :| She blamed herself for ages.

His sister, she used to be a class A drug addict and tried once then when she was heavily addicted, she since has a son with autism and cerebal palsy and has blamed her drug abuse for his disabilities.:| She's not found life easy and has tried on at least four further occcasions if not more in various different methods.

Their youngest brother, not the nicest person, has tried twice, once by taking aspirin and has knackered his liver. Ironically this saved him a few months later when he got stabbed - the blood flow was slowed down. He has since tried by taking vast amounts of ecstacy and a paracetamol mix - he took 25 tabs. His mum asked him were you just out for a good time or did you mean to do it and he said, mum, what do you think?

I think my aunty is one of the strongest people I've ever met.

I hope not i have 2 little boys at 2 and 4 and a little girl on the way.

It made me realise life is worth cherishing.

Well said corker, your experiences could so easily have made you bitter and resentful. Sounds like you have a lovely family now.

I've had no personal loss through suicide, but have spoken to people who are suicidal when I was a samaritan some years ago in another town. Some who rang were extremely desperate, often because of mental health issues that weren't under control. Some did use the threat as a way to get attention, perhaps on several occasions, but didn't carry it out. If someone really feels their life is totally without hope then they well may take the final step. If they are determined they are unlikely to make anyone aware. Many who ring the samaritans desperately want someone to listen, and they may have no-one else to talk to.

The person who commits suicide leaves all their own hurt and difficulties behind, but by their actions can also leave their family and friends with a terrible emotional legacy.

It’s hard to imagine why someone fit and healthy would choose to end their own life but it’s wrong to judge when you’ve no idea what they were going through at the time.

As far as euthanasia goes, I’ve never been able to understand why we all accept that when dealing with an animal in pain, that can’t be cured, the kindest and most humane thing we can do is to put it out of it’s misery but people don’t seem to be entitled to the same humane kindness.

Would be interested if anyone could explain this one to me without bringing god into it.

I agree with the above post but like you said it goes against some people's religious beliefs.

I do believe that people should have the basic right to decide when they want to put an end to their suffering, but I can't imagine how medical staff can be forced to help them if it goes against their faith or moral values.

As much as I believe that euthanasia is not a crime but on the contrary an act of compassion, I'm not sure I would have the guts to help someone die and it would be hypocritical of me to expect other people to do it as part of their job description.

It’s hard to imagine why someone fit and healthy would choose to end their own life but it’s wrong to judge when you’ve no idea what they were going through at the time.

As far as euthanasia goes, I’ve never been able to understand why we all accept that when dealing with an animal in pain, that can’t be cured, the kindest and most humane thing we can do is to put it out of it’s misery but people don’t seem to be entitled to the same humane kindness.

Would be interested if anyone could explain this one to me without bringing god into it.

I definitly believe in Euthanasia. I saw my mom suffer for years, when she really wanted to die.