What do you think about suicide?

If we consider being selfish as 'thinking about oneself' then there are many things that we do every day that make us selfish.

My sister has tried comittin suicide a few times,she has mental health.Although most of the time she rings us to tell us she is going to do it.

It is an attention thing with her,and it drives me mad.Because one day she will do it not meanin to kill her self and end her life.

She makes us all upset and worry about her ,and then a few days later she is off taking drugs with her friends again.

While we are left angry at what she has done.And we could ignore her when she rings to say she is going to do it.But if we did ignore her and she did it we would regrett not being there and helping her.

Charlie

I think people should have the right to end their own lives and if I was suffering from some kind of degenerative disease which caused me great suffering with no hope of recovery I would most likely seek to end mine and greatly resent the state trying to stop me.

One thing I can’t stand is people who end their lives in a manner involving other people such as jumping off a bridge into traffic, stepping in front of a train… especially when doing so puts others at significant risk or injury or death. It’s sad if people want to end their own lives but inexcusable that they’d unnecessarily negatively affect others in their choice of method.

A friend of mine committed suicide just over a week ago on 15th April 2007.

The overwhelming response has been one of sadness - no anger from friends or family. He was 31 years old, healthy, had a good job and had a 9 month old son. Sadly his wife died suddenly a few weeks ago of ovarian cancer which was only diagnosed two weeks before she died, and he obviously felt so unable to carry on. His son is currently living with his wife's parents in Thailand. We don't know exactly why he did it, he seemed to be making plans to bring his son over to the UK, and make a new life. He had something to live for.

I don't have any of these feelings of anger or feel that what he did was selfish. We all feel some guilt I think, it is so easy to think …if only I’d called/visited on that fateful day, perhaps he wouldn’t have done it. The truth is that he would probably have done it another day. Perhaps he could have worked through things and the moment would have passed, but perhaps it wouldn’t. People were very supportive – it just happened, and its so awfully sad.

A friend of mine committed suicide whilst we were still at school – he was only 17. That one made a lot less sense at the time. I think what people have to realise is that to feel this low, your normal thought process just don’t work. My cousin spent a few weeks in hospital after a breakdown a couple of years ago. For the first two weeks she was there, she wasn’t even aware that she had 4 young children.

I think people should have the right to end their own lives and if I was suffering from some kind of degenerative disease which caused me great suffering with no hope of recovery I would most likely seek to end mine and greatly resent the state trying to stop me.

One thing I can’t stand is people who end their lives in a manner involving other people such as jumping off a bridge into traffic, stepping in front of a train… especially when doing so puts others at significant risk or injury or death. It’s sad if people want to end their own lives but inexcusable that they’d unnecessarily negatively affect others in their choice of method.

not often i agree with you but this is one of those times.

My dad committed suicide when I was 11, he had his reasons and aparrently had attempted it numerous times. My mum says when she found out (they weren't together any more)that she felt some relief, as he was such a desperate mess and actually quite a scary person to know.

I feel cheated that I never really got to know him, and I feel really angry about that, but also that some people are so disturbed, not always through any fault of their own- his life was unbearable- he had tried various treatments and medication- what other options were there for him?

Now days when I hear of a suicide, my first reaction is anger at the selfishness and the pain that family and friends are put through, but then I have to acknowledge and accept that they must have felt so bleak, to feel like suicide is the only option to try and gain control.

Suicide/euthanasia is an issue which needs to be addressed, i suppose it should be classed as a health issue which affects both mental and ultimately physical health.

If a suicide takes place it will affect surrounding people more mentally than physically.

The person comitting suicide is going to be having mental health problems before commiting suicide.

In some cases i think it is just, in others it is not.

Education is needed for the current majority (irrational suicide), in others cases euthanasia.

A democratic vote would need to take place in how to treat euthanasia.

I have the right and ability to take my live, the common sense not to, but acknowledge the fact in certain circumstances it may be totally appropiate.

My body has a time limit, as it decreases it becomes more likely for it to be relevant to cut the limit short.

(E.g. You have to decide whether you (an adult) or another (a young child) survive "x", (you should?) /i would justly and effectively commit suicide)

On the other hand thre is voluntary euthanasia

If i say live a healthly lifestyle for 10 junior years boosting my life by 10, (and pay 10 extra tax) i want to be able to trade 5 of them years for 1 year of privellages and a defined day of death.

If its reckoned i will live 75 years i want to and will work till 65, retire for 5 and at the age 70 attend a "suicide butlins" for a year and "pop my script".

I'll cut my life short but beforehand i want a bit of cosnstant entertainment and pleasure.

I'll keep my dignity, become an addition rather than a burden and have the best year of my life.

Or if im on my own enact it as a religion, let me pay 1% extra NI and enter my "paradise" at 70 and exit a year later at 71.

I knew someone who commited suicide, this person was severly depressed and had tried so many times to kill herself by taking a mixture of tablets. She ended up killing herself a different way after trying one last time to do it with tablets, only to have her stomach pumped and then being discharged from hospital the day after. She commited suicide the day she was released. What was really sad about this is she was that depressed she left a daughter behind that she didn't feel strong enough to look after.

At the time this happened I couldn't understand how she left her little girl behind but I have come to discover that when your in such a bad way it really is the only answer infront of you.

I agree with some of the comments above, there needs to be more research on mental health and depression. It scares me how many people have been depressed and have had some sort of mental health issue.

There really needs to be more funding put into councellors etc rather than just doctors dishing out anti-depressents. I have been on tablets for nearly 2 years and if only I could have seen a councellor faster than the year wait I had I may not be stuck on them now. I'm still constantly fighting suicidal thoughts in my head and a worthless feeling and worry how I'm ever going to change these thoughts but I don't feel there is the help available out there. Upon seeing my councellor I was made to feel like I was wasting her time.

My mum commited suicide off mickley flats on norfork park when i was 2 years old,then when i was about 9 my auntie (my mums sister) did the same thing off kelvin flats, if any1 knows i know.

I know two people who took Cannabis ,who committed suicide. They say if you take a lot over a long period of time, it gives you schizphrenia.

hmmm... my ex did a lot of canabis and he was a schizophrenic. It was one of the most scariest things I've seen.

I know two people who took Cannabis ,who committed suicide. They say if you take a lot over a long period of time, it gives you schizphrenia.

only with a very few people who are pre-disposed to thought disorders. It certainly does not 'give' you schizophrenia.