Property shop (priority housing) - How long have you waited?

This property shop idea is just another propoganda stunt by this council to make waiting lists look low. The previous system of re-housing that was done by area offices was the best way. But, Alas the lunatics have taken over the asylum. The only way things are going to change is when we get rid of the old school boy network of councillors. There is a lot wrong with the system of housing in Sheffield and Millions are being wasted. Houses are being privatized via the back door with no-one noticing. Then the rents go up. We all suffer as a result. We are conned when the council encourage us to form our own area committee's. This is just another way that the council can ignore our wishes, Then at the end of the day say that our committee's are responsible. We find this now in the systems of management that they are trying to get us to vote for. All we get at the end of the day is " Hobsons Choice ". I never thought that I would see Sheffield in such a mess, With so many liesbeing told to us. The sorriest thing is, We are standing for it.

I,ve noticed that 3 of the flats a friend has applied for arn,t even on the propertyshop list of previous bids or on the list of properties which have been let. Its as if they were never advertised.

I know some one who,s had priority since autumn of 2003 but due to a change in letting criteria he no longer for qualify,s for the area of his choise which was filled in on his housing registration form by the housing officer who asked him where he wanted to move to when allocating him with priority.

Obviously he,s still bidding for properties in the area of his choise in the event that there are no other suitable applicants. Under the previous sytem he would have been helped in getting a property by the housing officer who gave him priorty.

As it now stands nothing seems to be happening and I don,t seem to read any good news reguarding housing but some one must be getting rehoused through the back door or all property,s which have been advertised would be accounted for on the propertyshop site and they aren,t.

Isn't it all this 'arms-length' management trend that is being rapidly taken up by all businesses/authorities now? The property shop idea keeps people at a distance as does the recent trend in paying bills etc which isn't good for everyone.

Don't forget also that with the housing coming down on Parson Cross and wherever else it's happening - those tenants get priority so that the land can be quickly sold off to developers.

The rest of us can whistle.

Originally posted by jan2002

Hi Ange

Have you made a bid on any properties yet ?

If you have'nt you won't be offered as you have to bid.

there is no waiting lists now.

I have someone here who works for the council

She says that when you make a bid if you are the first bidder you will be offered that property, and if you have priority over the other bidders then you will be offered the property first any way.

The more properties you bid on the more chance you have of being housed. Good Luck and I hope you won't be waiting long:thumbsup:

what?

whats this bid thing, are you talking about housing commision rental houses & you have to bid what to get one?

I really don't understand.

( I used to live in sheffield when i was a kid/teen & nothing like bidding then :)

cheers shawn in west oz.

To paraphrase Bart Simpson, "I don't know whether the property shop sucks or blows".

I've been up here 10 months now, in Woodhouse open Prison Aka St Anne's @Shelter@ for homeless men, and I can tell you that I've not heard anything... *Slowly pulls out eyelashes* :P

The whole bidding/ housing seems to have gone competely mad. The guy I know has had priority since 2003 re refurbishment, hasn,t been offerd properties he,s bid for and is now threatened with an eviction procedure for not being succesfull in bidding?

Forced bids follow where ever and which ever getto is going that tenants with a choise havn,t chosen to bid for (ie bids placed by the housing stock reduction team, deemed suitable to avoid homelessness due to not being offerd a property in 2 years or having priority)

All properties this guy bids on go to other tenants accourding to housing with higher priority and in the mean time the deadline date of the threatened eviction procedure gets closer? All of which is in the hands of sheffield housing and not in the hands of the tennant who is simply not succesfull in his bidding? On top of this the relocation money he would get will be witheld if the eviction procedure takes place?

Has any one got any experience of the legality of this sittuation?

sheffield propperty shop sucks:rant:

All the housing system and people who work for ik suck, along with the propertyshop from what I,ve heard.

I,d like to think it was a fair system with helpfull competent people working for the people who they are supposed to be helping, instead of stressing them with threats of eviction for not being successfull in thier bids.

Not being offerd a property in 18 months time and not being told this is because they changed their criteria, hardly constitutes social housing in my mind. More like scandalous housing, dysfunction!

i am sick to death of this new housing thing my kitchen is a mess and ive now been waiting a year for repairs and different people are telling me different things. im also on the housing list but im not gettin anyway with this bidding. ive tryed for priorty but there has to be something wrong with me i cant get it just on family suport as i want to move closer to family.

Its really frustrating too, as no one seems to know any thin judging from the lack of response. I mailes some housing advice bureau after having a flyer put in my door and the same thing there. Its a case of see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil when it comes to geting a reaction about the dysfunctional housing system.

My husband and I have cited several reasons for wanting to move to the Sheffield area - not least of which is family ties. I have a condition which means I need a bit of family support a few days a month - however, my only family are in Ireland and completely out of touch with what is happening here.

We have been on the waiting list for more than three years, and have religiously (almost) applied for housing every week. Housing we have applied for has been allocated to others who seem to have spent less time on the waiting list than us - on more than one occasion. Sheffield Homes response to this is that "There's an error on the system and the information is wrong!"

I'm about at the end of my tether trying to manage when I'm incapable of doing so and am hacked off with Sheffield City Council's platitudes and excuses. If I thought it would do any good I'd contact the Ombudsman.

What a pity no one on the forum with experience, for example councilors and housing members arn,t responding but then I suppose that would be too much to expect. When one needs advice there is sudenly no one home, typical. There was a flyer in the door offering legal and impartial advice on future council housing so I emailed them for my friend and what was the result, can any one guess. Well, they are no longer offering advice re Park Hill. What a wonderfull way of standing on the side line and browny licking.