Property shop (priority housing) - How long have you waited?

nice to hear you got settled Ange...heard many a stoy about the property shop giving out houses before folk get a chance to bid.

Just a really really stupid system.

Moon

Does any one know who gets first offer if its priority versus waiting time? I mean if a property is advertised for waiting time criteria? Or does priority only count when its stated as a criteria for a specific property?

There are houses specifically set aside for those with priority, and others that have been set aside for those with waiting time.

From what I've heard there are plenty of houses in Sheffield that never even see the Property Shop and are allocated from within the council.

Phone up the Property Shop and ask for leaflet on bidding and housing.

The info and housing policy on the property shop site doesn,t make sence to if I,me reading it right. If some one with waiting time goes before some one with priority who only has a certain amount of time to get a property, that would mean priority taking the left overs as people with waiting time have chosen the decent area,s. Thus with long waiting times! That would imply that people who have priority have to take the left overs? Thats why I wonderd about who has priority in reality. The person with waiting time or the person who has been assigned priority status?

My nephew has been trying to get somewhere for 4 yrs. They keep telling him to go private. Yet they are knocking down whole estates. They always have an excuse. There is nothing we can do to stop them. This has been the way for years now. This new system is just a shambles. But. They have better excuses.

4 years is a long time to be looking for a home but then you see properties advertised with waiting times of 15 years.

I know of people who,ve had priority for a year and still not got any where with bidding. Thats why I,m so curious about who really has priority (not on paper but in reality)?

It's all red tape, meaningless to those who put in their bids on a weekly basis. Although it obviously works for some.

Do you think if I apply for a job at Sheffield City Council, I'd stand a chance of getting housing there? lol

When you go into that property shop building just ask for Bruce - he should be able to sort out any problems for you.

As far as I know he's the most approachable and gets things done in that place.

I found the propertyshop info quite confusing and wonderd if they actually know their way around in the maze of the new system/rules? I had the idea that the info isn,t always accurate and any way they can,t give you a property even if you do go in there.

The one specific thing that confuses me is that when I have placed a bid on a property and I dont hear anything I just presume that I lost out to someone else, but within a few weeks I see that very same property advertised again.

I thought that the property would be passed down to the next person if it was turned down by the original person who was sucessful in their bid for it, and I thought they would continue to pass it down to the bidders until someone finally accepts it.

This bidding system is crazy.

I thought the same as you from what they told me at the propertyshop and from reading the letting system rules on the proertyshop/council rules? It seems that other things happen in reality as some properties I,ve bid for havn,t been noted as the properties where then withdrawn so I,m told and some are not advertised as let that were registerd? Thats why I thought I was confused but if more people are noticing this kind of thing it appears the rules are there just for appearances and there is another set of rules when its convenient?

I too have priority, there's 6 of us in a two bedroomed house

and a very small one at that. This bidding system is a farce it's made things worse. I nearly got to the top of the list for the area I want then they stopped it now I've got no chance because the houses that come up are for 15 years waiting time or priority, I was 49th on list of priority! before they scrapped waiting list housing office actually had cheek to tell me that I was'nt overcrowded! and with 4 kids I think thats discusting. They told me too have another baby, boy did I get him the sack