Property shop (priority housing) - How long have you waited?

im interested in finding out how long

people r waiting to be rehoused on prioity

ive been waiting 5mths now and hoping its getting nearer to my turn and just wanting to know how long others have waited be 4 getting a offer

thanks

just gone on the waiting list myself.. but know people who have waited 3 weeks recently. X

Hi Ange

Have you made a bid on any properties yet ?

If you have'nt you won't be offered as you have to bid.

there is no waiting lists now.

I have someone here who works for the council

She says that when you make a bid if you are the first bidder you will be offered that property, and if you have priority over the other bidders then you will be offered the property first any way.

The more properties you bid on the more chance you have of being housed. Good Luck and I hope you won't be waiting long:thumbsup:

my best friend is currently homeless.

she has been homeless for about four months, and has also been given mobility priority. She has to bid for properties, too, which, for anyone on homeless priority I think is totally and utterly stinking ridiculous!

Now, she doesn't have to bid for them, per se, someone in the homeless section actually does the bidding for her.

So, Knowing that she uses a wheelchair, and has been given the priority what do the imbeciles at the council do? They send her for upper-floor flats(!) or other flats that are inacessible for her wheelchair.

So, not only does she have the hassle of being homeless, and desperate for accommodation, she has to endure the cretins at the housing sending her for unsuitable properties, she has the stress of having to bid, too!

She has bid for a number of suitable properties, over the last few weeks, but been unsuccessful with them

What a totally stupid way to treat homeless people.

PT

We have been bidding since the new system started... and we have been bidding on most of the houses. The new bidding system is rubbish. One property we bid on early on was still empty months later, even though we fitted the criteria for the property, and when we enquired about it they said they were going to readvertise it as it was still empty!

I bid on a property a while back then saw the same property advertised back on the Property Shop website.

I called up the Property Shop to ask why they advertised the property again when from what I understood was that the property gets passed down from one bidder to the next if the first bidder doesnt except it and so on, but it was explained to me that it was a different property they used the same picture what an amazing excuse.

Talk about false advertising, I thought that was illegal.

There are people on here that Ive spoken to that have homeless priority or demolition priority and they have waiting times of 16+ weeks.

I dont know what Sheffield City Council are playing at but you would think that the faster they house people then they would start to recieve rents on the properties, keeping them empty is just criminal.

I dont have priority so god knows how long it will take me to get housed, I dread to think.

Dare I open my mouth to express my opinion of the housing system??? :evil:

The last contact I had with housing was that my priority would be removed because I refused an unsuitable house. Haven't heard a peep from them since, haven't got a clue what is happening.

They are utterly useless and I think I may have to stop now before I break site rules on profanity.

Did you know that people who have been on the list a certain number of years have priority over the other priorities? This was told to me by one of the housing associations.

So for example. If Mr & Mrs X had been on the housing register for 15 years and they bid on a house they are more likely to get it than someone who is homeless.

I also know of a family who were told they would get the house regardless of the bidding BEFORE the house was even advertised. 180 People bidded for that house that week and they had no chance of getting it because it had already been 'promised' to this family. Whislt I am extremely happy that this family got the house they wanted due to their circumstances....it doesn't actually display the system as fair to everyone else does it. How many other houses currently advertised with them are already promised to others?

Moon

ive been putting in at least 3 or more bids per wk

and over a very wide range of areas from loweges to southey

and in between these

i also phone up every wk to see if ive been allicated any. i was offerd an upper maisonette but it wasnt near my family so turned it down as my reason for moving is for family suport

and luckly it didnt affect my prioity

im hoping and prayin nxt wk will b the one i get as its where i do want to go and its a prioity house so fingers and toes crossed

Originally posted by Moon Maiden

Dare I open my mouth to express my opinion of the housing system??? :evil:

The last contact I had with housing was that my priority would be removed because I refused an unsuitable house. Haven't heard a peep from them since, haven't got a clue what is happening.

They are utterly useless and I think I may have to stop now before I break site rules on profanity.

Did you know that people who have been on the list a certain number of years have priority over the other priorities? This was told to me by one of the housing associations.

So for example. If Mr & Mrs X had been on the housing register for 15 years and they bid on a house they are more likely to get it than someone who is homeless.

I also know of a family who were told they would get the house regardless of the bidding BEFORE the house was even advertised. 180 People bidded for that house that week and they had no chance of getting it because it had already been 'promised' to this family. Whislt I am extremely happy that this family got the house they wanted due to their circumstances....it doesn't actually display the system as fair to everyone else does it. How many other houses currently advertised with them are already promised to others?

Moon

Isn't it just a total bloody pantomime, moon maiden?

God! I hope the council staff member whio is dealing with your case finally gets the timeshare on what I assume must be the sole brain-cell in the council's posession that is passed around from person to person, there, and gets you sorted out with a property.

I had the exact same problem, when I was fighting to get Medical Rehousing Priority(MRHP) into a wheelchair suitable property, a couple of years ago.

I was in a property that the council refused to adapt.

There was a massive step up to my front and back doors, which measured over a foot in height, and I, and my ex husband (who had asthma, crebral palsy, and a back injury) were expected to get a n electric-wheelchair up-and over this step, and into the property.

It was a total farce!!! The adaptions people at the social services said

"We can't assess you, to have the house adapted for you, until the medical priority visitors have been, and decided whether they'll give you points for MRHP"

and the MRHP people were saying

"we cant give you an assessment for MRHP, until the social services adaptions people have decided whether they will adapt the property for you"

I am surprised I am not bald with the stress of all that!

My father had to build a porch onto the front of the property, so that I had some where to store, and charge my wheelchair securely. I had to transfer into my manual wheelchair, at the door, leaving the power chair in the porch.

It took the council five years to decide that they were not going to adapt the property, after all...(but that's a whole other rant!) Yet they also refused to give me the points for priority either!

can you imagine! nightmare!!

i was forced into a move, which I didn't want to do. But it was a case of "needs must" i could not manage in that property, which I loved, and was literally 100 yards from my father's house, as well as on an access bus route, and near other facilities, like shops and the doctors, post office etc.

I moved into this house, which is an adapted property,which is ace, as I have the stairlift, the shower, level access for the wheelchair, etc.. the downside is, I live beside 2 different bus routes, neither of which are access buses... (I have to wheel, from the top of the hill where I live, fifteen minutes downhill going out, 20/25 minutes uphill coming back) to the main road where there are access buses... when the bus companies don't put the non-access buse son an access route! (Again, a whole other rant) I am a long way fron shops and other services... and my father who has also recently moved, is now two bus rides away, and a fifteen minute trek downhill to the one bus, and a half-hour, minimum, trek uphill from the otherbus.

so it was swings and roundabouts.. do i live near my family, in an environment that has facilities I can access, in a house I cant cope in.

or, do I move to a house that is adapted for my needs, but that is in an environment that is unfriendly to me and my wheelchair, and miles from my family members?

what a "Chucking Foice", eh? how does one decide which is the lesser of the two evils?

I bid on a proerty advertised in the property shop sheet. it was just what I needed, in exactly the right spot, just round the corner from the unsuitable house:- A 2-bed bungalow, in the right area.

I phoned after it, and, like you were told, moon maiden, I was told that the flaming thing had already been allocated to someone !!!

I said "But the ad has only just come out, less than a half-hour ago! How can that possibly be? I picked up the paper the second it hit your desk, straight off the press!" how can it have gone, already when the decision is not being made on the bids, that have been put in, till next Tuesday!!!? That's just ridiculous, !"

I have no faith in this bidding system, anyway! I think it is a fiasco!!!!! In bidding, we are doing the council's job for them!!

FFS! the council know exactly who is or is not on their waiting list, and what priority they have (or not as the case may be!)

So if they know who the people are, who who are waiting, and they know what properties and districts they are asking for,

*and* they have a list of all their own properties, and a list of the housing association properties that are "theirs" to allocate...

............ Why T-F can't they do the allocating, and get their applicants rehoused?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

instead of having people like MM and my best friend who is a homeless, wheelchair-user (mentioned in a post above, on this thread) housed as soon as possible!!!

"GRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It gets me so flaming angry!

PT Spontaneously combusts with rage!!!!!!!

PT

The only reason I can think of for having this bidding system is there is no visible waiting lists....specifically for homeless.

It means that they are fulfilling their obligation whilst putting homeless families at risk and forcing them into areas that the council cannot get rid of by threatening NOT to rehouse them at all.

Moon

My husband and I have been on the waiting list for a house in Sheffield for nearly 3 years. He's originally from the area and wants to move back near to his friends and family.

I can't believe the incompetence of Sheffield City Council, when they moved their files over onto their new computer system in February, they left our details off the list. So for 9 months, we've been bidding for properties with absolutely no chance of being allocated one. We have yet to receive either an explanation or an apology, let alone an offer of housing. My husband called them up and was basically fobbed off.

I'm furious and want to give them a piece of my mind but he tells me to calm down because he doesn't want to jeopardise our chances.

Fat chance!

I know it isn't a priority, just wondered if there were any other peeps out there like us and how long they were waiting and didn't want to start a new topic.

It is a joke, just to annoy people even more, I am aware of someone who has no need for a council house but her and her husband have just been offered one in Dore!! They put themselves on the housing list 20odd years ago, and with the general accumulation of points over time have now been offered this property! They can now flog their real house and go live like kings in door. I am off to stick myself on the list ;)