Help with a sunflower seedling

Hi All

Just a quick bit of advice required, my daughter came home from school with a sunflower seedling in a plastic cup, but I'm not sure what to do with it?

I don't want it to die and I don't have the best history with plants - they tend to die on me :(

:s will it be ok as is, or does it need replanting and if so how/where ?

thanks in advance :)

Sunflowers are brilliant to grow because they're quite hardy and grow quite quickly.

It depends on how big the plastic cup is! If you do have a pot, plant it in there and put a stick next to it (because they shoot up and do need to be supported by something). Oh, or in the garden of course when its a bit bigger. I forgot some people have gardens...And just water it every now and again :D

I have four sunflowers on the go at the moment. I did have them carefully on the windowsill but now they're just sitting outside and enjoying the sun.

I think they are given to children to grow because they are easy and so satifying when the great big yellow flower comes out.

Enjoy :)

Oh yeah - they do tend to like the sun. And if you are going to put it in a pot, make sure there is drainage in the bottom - throw some stones or summink in the bottom before putting in the soil. Once you've re-potted it, give it a good soaking :thumbsup:

Oh yeah - they do tend to like the sun. And if you are going to put it in a pot, make sure there is drainage in the bottom - throw some stones or summink in the bottom before putting in the soil. Once you've re-potted it, give it a good soaking :thumbsup:

Thanks very much Jacwelina :) here's hoping....

I'm glad I've seen this thread... I'm going to do a sunflower competition with my Brownies... we're going to plant them on 1st May (and decorate their own pots - just small yoghurt pot sized ones)... I'm wanting to produce the results on 17th July - will this be too early do you think? (Get them to bring in a photo and a measurement). We won't be going back until late in September and I don't want them to a) forget about it or b) forget to do results in September!