The Ghost of Stocksbridge bypass.

Recently the folks from West Yorkshire Paranormal Research were up there and they said the car died on them and a car coming toward them also lost power about 2.30am.

The only bizarre, unexplainable sightings in Stocksbridge are the Residents.:)

Hi cyclopath,

the Monk is mostly seen on the Bridge on Pea Royd Lane matey,

personally there is more than one monk haunting the stockbridge bypass apparently,

the children who are seen dancing & singing ring o ring o roses could have been the children who was sadly crushed to death by a horse & cart as there was children crushed underneath the cart what has already has been mentioned,

also they could have been the children who was sadly killed in a near by Fire Clay or a Coal Mine,

my question would be has any paranormal groups ever tried to communicate with the monk while doing EVP sessions? & if not why not.

Well It's over 6 years now, and no further sightings of the Stocksbridge ghost...

I decided to investigate myself, so yesterday evening I drove up to the bypass and had a wander round..

After a couple of hours (no sightings) I found a bench on Pea Royd lane, and decided to have a sit down, as dusk was approaching I thought I'll give it up, and make my way home...

But Then !!!

As I was sat there, a cold mist suddenly descended on me, and out of the mist appeared an old man wearing a white gown...

" does tha mind if a join thee"

" sit thi sen down I replied"

He sat down beside me, and I said "How tha keeping Mate"

Fed up, it's mi birthday today, 3077 years old.

I asked him why he was Fed Up..

" Well he said I've been haunting these woods for over 2000yrs now, picnics, walkers, ramblers, doggers I've been scaring the wits out of them all these years, then they built this ruddy bypass, this made it very difficult for me to cross from one side to the other, plus the fact that people are becoming less and less scared.. only the other week I tried to spook a couple of young children, and what happened, they asked me if I'd like a sweetie."

How did you get into this haunting lark I asked him ?

"Well I was a bricklayer building Roach Abbey, when I accidently dropped a brick on to the Abbots foot, he flew into a rage and had me slain,

Then they threw my body into a damp wet pit in Grenoside Woods...

I immediately applied for my haunting license, but was turned down because I was only a bricklayer, seems you have to be a member of the Hierarchy to get a license EG.-Monk, Knight, Royalty.

I fought for 200yrs to get my license, and eventually, at a tribunal I was granted one..

Was I glad to escape that damp wet pit in Greno Woods, where I'd lain for 200yrs.

At first the job was very rewarding, scaring the life out of people gave me great job satisfaction.

3000+ years ago their were 75,000 working Ghosts in England, almost every Castle, Monastery, Church any old building had a resident Ghost, that figure is now down to 957.

My mate got a job at Alton Towers, but he couldn't compete with the actors jumping out on people wielding their Axes and Chainsaws.

Unfortunately our Terms and Conditions do not allow us to carry offensive weapons..

Then along came Covid 19 , the closure of tourist attractions, social distancing, and the wearing of masks made it almost impossible to carry on our trade, Ghost's are now an endangered species, and it's looking like I might finish back in the damp wet pit in Greno Woods"

I was close to tears on hearing his story, so I said you can scare me if you like "can I really" he said.

Yes, you can, call it a birthday present..

He then drifted of into the undergrowth, 4 mins later he reappeared, Howling, rattling his chains, carrying his head under his arm (Dynamo would have been amazed)

I jumped up, let out a terrifying scream and legged it.. 

I do hope he enjoyed his birthday present.. 

2 things to mention. 

Before the bypass was built (this must have been sometime in the 70's) we were driving late at night, don't know the name of the road but it was very rural and wooded, going down into a hollow, with a bend and over a bridge, somewhere near to where the bypass is now, when the person driving called out and suddenly almost stood on the brake, sending the other passengers (there were 4 of us in the car) nearly through the windscreen. He swore he'd seen someone jump into the road in front of him, the other front seat passenger saw it too. They got out of the car to check the road expecting to find something under the wheels, but there was nothing. The normally cool collected driver was so unnerved, he asked one of the other passengers to drive the rest of the way home. 

Less dramatic, another night driving on the same bit of road, we saw several lights flickering in the woods. We didn't stop to investigate... 

Edited by Anna B

all a lot of rubbish,ghosts are fiction and no one has ever proved any different,so save these stories for books,unless you can prove otherwise.

On 08/08/2021 at 00:34, Anna B said:

2 things to mention. 

Before the bypass was built (this must have been sometime in the 70's) we were driving late at night, don't know the name of the road but it was very rural and wooded, going down into a hollow, with a bend and over a bridge, somewhere near to where the bypass is now, when the person driving called out and suddenly almost stood on the brake, sending the other passengers (there were 4 of us in the car) nearly through the windscreen. He swore he'd seen someone jump into the road in front of him, the other front seat passenger saw it too. They got out of the car to check the road expecting to find something under the wheels, but there was nothing. The normally cool collected driver was so unnerved, he asked one of the other passengers to drive the rest of the way home. 

Less dramatic, another night driving on the same bit of road, we saw several lights flickering in the woods. We didn't stop to investigate... 

Forge Lane just before you get to Wortley Top Forge.  Grade 1 listed building, very old.

Guest makapaka
On 08/08/2021 at 15:21, bassett one said:

all a lot of rubbish,ghosts are fiction and no one has ever proved any different,so save these stories for books,unless you can prove otherwise.

I like real life ghost stories.

Edited by makapaka

On 08/08/2021 at 15:21, bassett one said:

Mr. Bassett, Ghost's do exist, although they are a dying breed and face extinction..

Maybe we could open a kind of Ghost Zoo, where visitor's could come and pretend to be frightened.

We definitely need somewhere to preserve our heritage.

Can I remind you of a true story, which proves Ghost's do exist.

In 1843, a respectable tight old sod, think he was called Ebenezer Scrooge, was visited by 3 ghost's,

The ghost of Christmas past,

The ghost of Christmas present,

The Ghost of Christmas yet to come,

These 3 Ghosts scared him so much, he changed his ways, and became a very likeable chap..

Need any more proof Mr. B.

What the Dickens? Bah Humbug. Although maybe Tiny Tim's mum enjoyed having a goose...

no ghosts in my life

accept presents only, merry xmas passes my lips ,but only to get a freebie.there was a rumour about a owl player that was supposed to be a ghost,alias waddle as he ghosted past the opposition.