Fake £1 coins - lots of them around?

I have never heard of them either, but will check tommorrow. What do we have to look for ?

Well the gold coloured coating comes off quite easily and it looks darker underneath than if you scratch a real £1 coin. And they are a bit lighter in weight. But the giveaway is on the edge of the coin because the lettering looks fake and bodged, even though the head and tail sides of the coin are pretty convincing.

Used to be a bloke at Skeggy market selling fake pound coins....40p each. They were very good copies too, you had to bite em real hard to tell if they were real.

im sorry to have to report but many years ago when i was unemployed and skint i bought a dodgy tenner for 4 quid. i know it was wrong so dont lecture. the bloke had thousands. i went into a shop, very nervously, i must admit and bought a paper. the girl who served me did look suspiciously at it, i avoied eye contact, i left in that stiff legged nervous walk that one gets when passing a snarling dog. as left the shop i heard the girl shout to the back of the shop "dad come and look at this" hearing this i legged it, crashed into a very large man who hit the deck, he jumped up and began to chase me.we ran past a bus at a bus stop, on it was my mums next door neighbour, she gave me a startled look as i sped past. i lost the bloke. never ever ever did i do anything like that again!

I've got one in the kitchen. It's pretty crummy close up, but it was clearly good enough to get passed to me.....

i am a market trader an there is always fake pund coins about an be careful fake £2 coin about now

Many years ago there was a fraud in Ireland where people were filing the corners off 50p pieces to make them into 10ps for fruit machines, phone boxes etc.

If you're worried about spotting the fake coins, knock two together, they sound dull ... you can hear them when you chuck them into the cash drawer ... too late by then though :rolleyes: