Fake £1 coins - lots of them around?

I've had a few lately. You can they are fake because the milling around the outside wears off and the writing is poor quality. Anyone else seen them much recently?

I saw a spate of these a few years ago- most of the ones that I saw were reshaped and restamped old 10p pieces, which were then sprayed gold.

They only took you in if you weren't paying attention when someone gave you them- but it's annoying never the less.

EDIT- I used one as my 'trolley quid' for a while. It was all it was fit for.

I bought a pack off these off a bloke in a pub last week and they turned out to be mini cheddars.

I bought a pack off these off a bloke in a pub last week and they turned out to be mini cheddars.

LMAO ..:D ..I thought you were gonna say Chocolate :D

I've had more'n a few - and that's a good reason to catch busy buses, as they don't have time to check. ;)

Do most shops etc actually check for these? I don't think so. I must have had loads and not spotted them

Be careful when buying T-shirts and posters and anything else from those lovely people from Manchester who sell stuff outside the Hallam FM Arena. I know several people who have found duff £1 coins when they have got home.

How can you tell they are fake? Not that it matters where i work as long as the money looks good anyone will put it through the till.:loopy:

p.s. Not saying where i work are you will all be printing off fake notes.:hihi:

well the ones i've seen have been alot softer, bits break off if you throw it on the ground, not seen any for a couple of years though, like medusa, the last one was used for the trolleys

I hadn't even heard of fake pound coins but I shall be making sure I maintain the upmost surveillance at all times :suspect:

I hadn't even heard of fake pound coins but I shall be making sure I maintain the upmost surveillance at all times :suspect:

I have never heard of them either, but will check tommorrow. What do we have to look for ?