Anyone work at Tinsley Wire Ltd?

Guest makapaka

They had a very good football team in the early 90's - watched em with me dad who I think turned out once or twice. Don't know the fellas well but names I remember were sonny, picko, warbs.

We had some very sad news this week . All wire drawing , galvanising , most welded mesh , most field fence and barded wire will be closing down just after Christmas . 108 redundancies only leaving about 26 jobs and to be honest don't think they'll be here much longer . Very sad times .

My Dads Family Was The Longest Serving Family At T.w.i.l

Dennis .barry .charlie. Alice

Surname Briggs

Dennis Worked In Galvenising . Barry Worked In Wire Draws?

Hi I remember a Denis Briggs I think that just before he retired he was working in transport driving the mini bus??

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 18:16 ----------

I was a nurse at Tinsley Wire

I have some photos of the ambulance room and the nurses also doc Parkin and the ambulance driver Les Clark

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 18:19 ----------

Just out of curiosity, when did Tinsley Wire change to Betafence and when did the Carbrook site first open?

Sh2006.

I am sure the site first opened in 1932 I think Betafence was in the mid 90s but not sure it was Bekaert before Betafence and always had links with the Belgium firm

Hi Mick. I remember you you worked in planning didn't you ? also can remember your son working there didn't he work on transport ? i can't think of his name though. I worked on flat wire before transferring over to galvo in no1 factory

Hi Mick. I remember you you worked in planning didn't you ? also can remember your son working there didn't he work on transport ? i can't think of his name though. I worked on flat wire before transferring over to galvo in no1 factory

Hi yeh not my son it was me that worked in transport but before that I did work in planning and in the garage on the fork lift trucks

My Dad worked in the weighbridge, George Lee he received a gold watch for 25 years wervice.

My Dad worked in the weighbridge, George Lee he received a gold watch for 25 years wervice.

Hi Pauline, The name is not familiar to me but the weighbridge I had dealings with was the one that sent out the goods to customers and I am sure that there were other weighbridges in the factory for weighing production material.

---------- Post added 16-07-2017 at 18:54 ----------

When I wer’ a lad, we had canteens in both factories, you could get a breakfast or a bacon sarni on days and a meal or a bag of chips on afters and nights , a mug of tea or a pint of lime or orange. The little shop in No1 canteen sold fags and chocolate.

We had a Christmas meal every year, no matter what shift you were on, turkey, little sausages with bacon wrapped round them, loads of veg and gravy and a bottle of beer, mince pie, Christmas pudding and custard for dessert. Children of employees had a Christmas party every year and Father Christmas would always find time to turn up and hand out a few presents.

Yeh, you are right about the kids Christmas party George Grindle used to be Father Christmas and me and a few others would take the kids photos of him giving them presents ,then after Christmas we would send out all the photos sometimes there would be over 100 shots

I attended a few of the Xmas parties laid on for kids. After the meal, there would be a magician/comedian, sing song, and of course Father Xmas, who gave out goodies. The last one I was at, would be around 1952, my present was a book on space exploration. Quite futuristic considering the years before it became a reality.

I attended a few of the Xmas parties laid on for kids. After the meal, there would be a magician/comedian, sing song, and of course Father Xmas, who gave out goodies. The last one I was at, would be around 1952, my present was a book on space exploration. Quite futuristic considering the years before it became a reality.

Wow you are going back a long way I did not start a Tinsley till 1975

My dad worked there from about 1946 until 1958. He was a sheet metal worker. Had a couple of apprentices working with him, only know one, called Leonard. Sorry, no last name.

My dad worked there from about 1946 until 1958. He was a sheet metal worker. Had a couple of apprentices working with him, only know one, called Leonard. Sorry, no last name.

He was in the weighbridge where you clocked in and out.

my mum worked there but would have been late thirties early forties I think