Tribute to a Great Martial Artist.

I sadly relate that a martial artist known as Abdul Haqq (formerly called Dannus Lee) tragically passed away at the age of 34 on Sunday.

His funeral was today at Wolseley Road mosque and there was easily over 1000 people there which was a testament to his popularity. Abdul Haqq was a very kind , gentle and respectful man and touched a lot of peoples hearts.

It would be nice if people would post on here and reminisce of the happy times and the good times when Abdul Haqq /Dannus Lee was alive.

Both social and martial arts related.

Abdul Haqq held a black belt in Wado Ryu and also Boxed at many of sheffields boxing gyms.

It would be a shame if this thread got buried. Why not start the ball rolling Chefkicker .

Hello, thanks for starting this thread Farhad.

I've put off posting because there's just so much that could be said, its hard just to pick out a few moments/memories.

I met Dannus at the karate club where he earned his black belt in wado ryu. I, along with everyone else admired his skill particularly when it came to fighting...he'd let you know he was 'the man' but always showed respect to his opponant.

He couldn't take his eyes off himself when he was doing his bicep curls or whatever in the weights room. (poser!) I know their are a few funny stories about Dannus and his training but i know a man who can tell them better than me...so i'll get him on here.

Once he stopped training at the particular club I went to I used to see him regularly in the co-op i worked at close to his house. There would also be the usual banter and he'd remind me how he'd 'have me' or 'put me down'. He was right of course. His mum would laugh at him and his attitude when she came in with him and so would his friends. In fact if he was ever in company, the people around him would be laughing.

Kind, respectful, caring, cheerful, funny and a great martial artist/fighter...far too good for my liking;)

He and his mother will be sadly missed, but you can't help but smile when you remember them.

xxx

Abdul Haqq (Dannus Lee) was a GREAT man no doubt about it.

I first met him at "the Hub" when the late Calvin Williams was teaching Thaiboxing there I was 18 at the time.

Later on i would bump into him here and there. Finally at the age of 20, I returned to the old london road karate club for the kickboxing classes. Dannus was teaching the classes and was very encouraging towards me. I was at university at the time so would only return to that club over summer.

I enjoyed Dannus' classes at the time and used to take a right old "hiding" off him in sparring. Dannus was popular with everyone there. It was mainly Paul Bradshaw who used to teach them but Dannus often covered Paul when he was absent.

I still have distinct memories of the day when i finished praying on friday afternoon in the mosque, turning round and seeing DANNUS !!!

I was surprised but part of me was not. He was now called Abdul Haqq. He was incredibly popular at the mosque too and now that I had got to know him better (since i saw him more regularly) he became a friend as opposed to an acquaintance.

Abdul Haqq would tell me he would "be there at 10:30pm " and then turn up at midnight or 1am! :D

You were almost certain to bump into him at the mosque or at any halal takeaway.

He used to come to my classes at one time too and helped with a couple of AFK gradings. Again being supportive and encouraging to my students.

He even supported one of my shows and got chatting to a 35 year old novice fighter telling him how he enjoyed his fight and rated him for getting in the ring at 35 years of age.

His mother was ill and sadly passed away a week before my last show in February. I was related this by a former student of mine and attended ehr funeral prayer.

When i got the news about him I asked the bearer of the bad news at least 3 times to confirm it was true.

I still could not recover from the shock. Many of the local muslim community felt relaxed with the news knowing that Abdul Haqq being the pious and kind man that he is will no doubt be in a better place.

Abdul Haqq will be sorely missed. I cant go near Wolseley road mosque, any halal takeaway or even attend a boxing/kickboxing show locally without feeling an emptiness in my heart.

Feeling the void in my heart that was once occupied by a dear friend known as Abdul Haqq.

I had the pleasure of going to school with Dannus - or Deggie as he was known.

He was an absolute diamond and, unsurprisingly, was extremely popular.

Very very cheeky chappie!

He didn't take any rubbish off people, but I remember him being a fair and honest person.

He wore his heart on his sleeve and what you saw was what you got with Deggie.

I learnt of his death through the Sheffield Star last year and was absolutely gutted and am not ashamed to say that I cried many tears.

There's not a lot more I can say about Deggie - everyone who knew him, be it through school, or his mosque or his job, knows what a wonderful and special person he was.

The world is a poorer place without him.

RIP Deggie! You've left a lot of happy and funny memories behind, and you will NEVER be forgotten.

X x x

I did Wado Ryu with him for about 9 years when i was younger, really got on with him...a decent bloke. Can't believe he has dies, and the reason for it as well.

I had the pleasure of going to school with Dannus - or Deggie as he was known.

He was an absolute diamond and, unsurprisingly, was extremely popular.

Very very cheeky chappie!

He didn't take any rubbish off people, but I remember him being a fair and honest person.

He wore his heart on his sleeve and what you saw was what you got with Deggie.

I learnt of his death through the Sheffield Star last year and was absolutely gutted and am not ashamed to say that I cried many tears.

There's not a lot more I can say about Deggie - everyone who knew him, be it through school, or his mosque or his job, knows what a wonderful and special person he was.

The world is a poorer place without him.

RIP Deggie! You've left a lot of happy and funny memories behind, and you will NEVER be forgotten.

X x x

Could not have put it better myself. Only the other day i was with Wajid Nazir, Mash and Asif Ditta in that takeaway called "Manu Salwa" . Immediately memories came flooding back. All pleasant memories.

Abdul Haqq/Deggie/Dannus was a LEGEND!!!

Abdulhaqq Dannus Michal Lee.

This man was a gem. Genuine, good-hearted and straightforward. What I remember is his smile, his hearty laughs. He was one of the rare people who can make me double up.

Always giving good advice, always making fun of my French accent etc...It's really hard to sum up 7 years of friendship.

He will always be in my heart, that's for sure.

Can anyone tell me where he's buried?

Abdulhaqq Dannus Michal Lee.

This man was a gem. Genuine, good-hearted and straightforward. What I remember is his smile, his hearty laughs. He was one of the rare people who can make me double up.

Always giving good advice, always making fun of my French accent etc...It's really hard to sum up 7 years of friendship.

He will always be in my heart, that's for sure.

Can anyone tell me where he's buried?

This absolute legend is buried in city road cemetary. May Allah grant him paradise!

Ameen! Thank you chefkicker for the reply.