Sign in to follow this  

Please help me out with a crochet shrug/bolero pattern

Im looking for a crochet shrug or bolero pattern, preferably that I could do in white cotton yarn or at least a yarn that looks like white cotton. It should be very easy though, because although I can crochet and have done many a shawl or blanket, Ive never followed a pattern for crochet.

Ive looked on ebay and there was a vintage one which only went up to 38" (Im 42") also an American one and I didnt understand the yarn requirements.

Can anyone help please?

This site has loads of crochet patterns for shrugs and boleros. If any take your fancy from there, we should be able to help you out with yarn substitution if needed :) .

EDIT: Just in case you don't know, Americans use slightly different terms for their crochet stitches, but it's easy to find tables that tell you what the UK equivalent is.

I dont know if this is an overly ambitious project for me! I looked at the crochet terms:

Crochet Terms

British English American English

Slip stitch (sl st) Slip stitch (sl st)

Chain stitch (ch) Chain stitch (ch)

Double crochet (dc) Single crochet (sc)

Half treble crochet (htr) Half double crochet (hdc)

Treble crochet (tr) Double crochet (dc)

Double treble crochet (dtr) Treble crochet (tr)

Triple treble crochet Double treble crochet (dtr)

Cast off Bend off / fasten off

Tension Gauge

I know what a chain is, a dc and a treble crochet, but what is a double treble crochet, a half treble crochet and a slip stitch? I perhaps need a crochet book or something.

Yellowrose, I know only the basics of crochet, so I'll direct you to some video tutorials for those stitches. It's not a British site, so it uses the American terms for the stitches. The ones you ask about are there though:

Double Treble (American term - Treble)

Half Treble (American term - Half Double)

Slip Stitch (American term is the same).

If you want a book, I can recommend 'The Happy Hooker' by Debbie Stoller.

I haven't come across any free British patterns for shrugs, though I'll keep looking. McA do a good selection of Patons and Sirdar pattern leaflets and there are often crochet patterns amongst those.

Thank you so much, those links are really helpful!

This one is quite a basic pattern if you want something that will work up quickly. It uses some knitting stitches too.

You download the pattern in pdf format from the site (I've done that before from this site).

The only one I can come up from a British pattern leaflet is this one from Patons Jungle Fever. It's very pretty, put I don't know if it really qualifies as a shrug.

It is pretty, I agree.

Is there anywhere in the Hillsborough area or close by where I can browse some pattern books (like we used to do years ago when Walshes was open!). I like to find a pattern and then lift it out of the folder and look how complicated the pattern is and also check out the yarn etc. I used to do this in Crystal Peaks Market but I dont get over there any more.