Giant new Tesco on Spital Hill / Saville Street.

Its just a sodding Tesco! I don't know if people were expecting eternal youth or immortality as they walked through the door but it's just another supermarket.

I know the residents of the area wanted a supermarket but I don't know who took the back hander at the council and allowed another Tesco to be built.

The only positive thing I have to say about it is that it's brought some much needed jobs to the local people; they stink as an employer though (my sister worked for them for a few years) and I bet that there aren't any locals in the managerial posts.

Sodding Tesco or not everyone is entitled to make there opinion about the new store. Although I think your spot on about the management post which none are locally employed! hmmm??

Sodding Tesco or not everyone is entitled to make there opinion about the new store. Although I think your spot on about the management post which none are locally employed! hmmm??

No none of the management are currently locals, most have been transferred from other stores, but all employees have the opportunity to progress to management positions, and some are already being trained as supervisors.

Just to add i use to work for Tesco and it was great place to work, however that were many years ago and things may have changed since then.

Did they say anything about when they would be getting any recycling facilities?

They said they had no plans for recycling facilities when I asked at the weekend :(

I drive past it to go to the shops on Spital Hill. The fruit and veg up there is of much better quality and about half the price of the supermarkets.

If you dont like Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys/Morrisons just dont go. I havent been in a supermarket since the old Asda at Handsworth closed and shock horror, Im still alive!!

the old Asda at Handsworth closed and shock horror

I watched 'em build that one (if you mean the one on Orgreave Road).

I watched 'em build that one (if you mean the one on Orgreave Road).

Yes. I also remember either they didnt have carrier bags or my Mum was too tight to buy them and we used to pack the groceries in the empty boxes that were at the tills.

Theres one for all you recycling nuts! No plastic bags, just re used cardboard boxes!! :)

So, what's the general opinion of everyone who has actually shopped there? I think it's quite good, it was very busy when I went on Sunday - they must be doing something right!

I have just been in to have a look for some trousers for work and its a similar size to the Tesco by my mums (near LIverpool). Have to say I didnt go round the food area but wasnt that impressed with the clothes department.

We also got a bit confused coming out, not knowing the area very well we were going to turn left but the sign said bus lane to the left so we went right to then realise we should have gone left and it wasnt just a bus lane. we then got caught up in one way roads and had a detour. Turned up a side road to turn round and think we chose the wrong road - shall i just say 'red lights' dont think the car that was parked in the middle of the street blocking our way was impressed we stopped them doing whatever it was they were doing!

The council should of never let this happened. Why do we need more supermarkets when small Businesses are suffering?

*I also havent been to Tescos in years and wont ever go back.