Giant new Tesco on Spital Hill / Saville Street.

Perhaps if the independent shops dropped their prices they would be used more,and who wants to buy fruit and veg that been stood outdoors for hours on end,not me.

You obviously don't quite understand how monopolies use prices to control market share.

When a Tesco opened 5 miles away from my sister's Cotswold village, the village grocery started buying their stock from Tesco because it was cheaper than the wholesaler. At least for the period before it went out of business. The butchers went next, then the post office, and finally the pub.

You obviously don't quite understand how monopolies use prices to control market share.

When a Tesco opened 5 miles away from my sister's Cotswold village, the village grocery started buying their stock from Tesco because it was cheaper than the wholesaler. At least for the period before it went out of business. The butchers went next, then the post office, and finally the pub.

Oh i understand,but when you only get a pension you have to shop for the best bargain.

Is that the Tesco in Stow-on-the-Wold?

Is that the Tesco in Stow-on-the-Wold?

No, but coincidently we were in there only three days ago looking for some 2 for a tenner Picpoul de Pinet 2010. They'd sold out, but we ended up with half a dozen from Archer Road.

The Stow-on-the-Wold store only opened a while ago, and there was a lot more than the average level of objections to it before it was built. It seems that absolutely nobody wanted that store there except Tesco themselves, and John Prescott. Five years down the line I have no doubt there will be independant shopkeepers suffering there just as those in my sister's village 15 years ago.

Compared to Asda Handsworth how bigger or smaller is the new Tesco going to be?

And also do you guys think it will be bigger than the Chesterfield Tesco Extra?

:confused:

it's not a very nice design is it, it looks like they just bought all the spare brown plastic cladding left over from all the other building projects in Sheffield and stuck it on.

Perhaps if the independent shops dropped their prices.

And stayed open longer so working people could shop there ?

So guys whats the latest on the Tesco/spital hill jobs situation? Have the jobs gone up yet or? :huh:

Sounds like Tesco is England's equivalent to our Walmart. used to live down that area off Lopham street...sounds like its changed quite a bit since the 80's

As far as i can see on the website no jobs are being advertised yet

I drove past this the other day...it looks massive!!

I drove past this the other day...it looks massive!!

That's probably because it is.