Constant Headaches - any suggestions?

A friend of mine suffers from a near constant headache ( no, it isn't me...). She's had a scan, and various tests but nothing has been found; also normal painkillers are ineffective and prescription meds are needed.

Anybody got experience of something like this?

I assume your friend has had eye tests too? Or had their glasses checked if they where them?

Definitely have them get an eye test and if they're sitting in front of a computer screen at all make sure all proper Health and Safety checks are done. Badly adjusted VDUs etc. can make a big difference. Other factors on VDU use is also if it's a CRT being used under florescent lighting. You can get a strobe effect if the frequencies of the screen and lighting are different. My friend was very susceptible to this which caused him very bad headaches.

She has been prescribed glasses, and hasn't picked them up yet. They dont think the problem is severe enough to cause headaches tho...

(I meant I wasn't the cause of the headach, btw...)

Do they work with any kind of chemicals or work / live near somewhere that uses them? It could be food as well. Some foods give people headaches, can't remember which type it was though, worth thinking about :)

Has she had her gas appliances checked for carbon monoxide leaks?

Drinking more water, and putting lavendar oil on the temples may hopefully aleviate some of the symptoms.

Drinking more water, and putting lavendar oil on the temples may hopefully aleviate some of the symptoms.

agree completely ........ especially about drinking more water :)

She has been prescribed glasses, and hasn't picked them up yet. They dont think the problem is severe enough to cause headaches tho...

(I meant I wasn't the cause of the headach, btw...)

An optician told me that eyesight problems actually rarely cause headaches (and even more rarely severe headache). Although staring a VDU all day without taking proper breaks can do.

The problem could very well be stress related. Stress always give me headache and this kind of headache is difficult to get rid of with painkillers. I would say try drinking plenty of water, exercise, always have breaks if you work at a VDU and go outside at lunchtime, and try to wind down properly before going to bed. If you don't do that I think you can EXPECT to get headaches. Oh, and never drink "diet" soft drinks, exp diet coke, very bad for you and they used to give me screaming headaches!

"Cluster headaches"...possibly...i have had these for years... from a few days to a couple of months...nightmare pain...Try acupuncture, massage...There is a Chinese therapy centre on Chapel Walk that your friend could try...I have been prescribed beta blockers...and all sorts pain killers, none of which really help for very long as the pain is so intense...Destressing with yoga, Tai Chi, hot baths...Lavender on the temples...can help...worth googling and finding as much info on treatments as she can...