Hereward, Bourne, Crowlands, Oswestry

Hi, does anyone know the past history of these roads near Longley Park?

I believe they are 1930s, but other than that.....

Is there somewhere I can go and try and find who has lived in my house before now?

Any one else here living near me??

Cheers for any help!

Bourne says; Is there somewhere I can go and try and find who has lived in my house before now?

Hi Bourne, I've always liked these roads. Always look neat and tidy.

If you go to the Local Studies Library at the Central Library, you can check back in the Electoral Registers (on the shelves) for all previous residents who where eligable to vote for your address.

Have you found any remains of Cliffe House in your garden?

Hi Pietro, thanks for the idea, I'll have to have a look one day in town.

I don't think I'm far enough down the road to have remains of the house in our garden, from the 1855 on get a map it looks like it were just fields!

Cheers

Hi! Bourne, I lived at no 4 Crowland untill two years ago when we moved to Scarborough. Crowder House used to be situated where Longley Park joins with the gardens at the bottom of Crowland, some of the gardens at the bottom were part of the Crowder estate.

The House was demlolished in the mid 1930's, the Hereward and Crowland estate being started about 1938. The last person to live at Crowder House was miss Wake who died childless and hence had no one to carry on the family traditions, she came from a very old family, one of her relations being " Hereward the Wake" which is where Hereward Rd gets its name.

One of her relations started the Sheffield solicitors Wake Smith, which still exists, allthough the Wake part of the name was bought out long ago.

The old original entrance to the house was at the end of Hereward Rd where it joins Barnsley Rd, one of the stone tops to the pillars was lying on the grass near the steps down into the old playing field when I left Sheffield, I don't know if it is still there.

Odd bits of paving and ornamentation can still be found in the gardens on Hereward and Crowland.

Good luck on any research you do.

Thanks Malc, that's brilliant!

The strange thing about this is that I actually lived and worked in Oswestry in the mid-eighties for a short while.

One or two other bits of info, during the war, the bungalow in middle of Crowland was lived in by Mr Erich Driesbach, an Austrian by birth, his house was one of the few that had a direct hit from an incendiary bomb, a patch of lighter coloured slates near the chimney can still be seen where the roof was repaired.

I can remember my grandad who lived in Crowland at that time, telling me it was quite funny seeing Mr Driesbach out in the street waving his fists at the departing bombers and swearing like mad at them in German.

The bungalow at no 40 Hereward was owned by my grandfather, and then my father untill two years ago, I must say a fantastic job has been done on this in the last two years, what a transformation.

And I thought I had it hard with the wasp's nest in the ridge tiles!

Cheers!