Grass seed and sowing a lawn

Hi,

I'm wanting a bit of advice as either tonight or tomorrow I'll be sewing a lawn (which I've never done before) Firstly, where is the best place to buy seed? I want something cheap and durable. I've ploughed the area I want to sew and removed all the stones, is it just a case of scattering the seed and watering?

Any advice would be good.

Also the size is 20m by 20m, so I'd prefer to buy in bulk

Cheers

Pete

Most packs of grass seed have instructions on them.

Tells you how much to scatter on each square metre etc.

Only done it once myself, but try "canada green" seed, it starts growing in a couple of weeks - great stuff.

Wilkinsons seed is cheap and you can buy different varieties.

will it matter if we have a frost?

A frost won't overly affect it too much, might knock it back but it should be ok. Repeated frosts for a couple of weeks might... but at this time of year it's doubtful.

:hihi: I have this image of someone on their hands and knees, sewing a lawn like a cross stitch pattern or something.

I'll go now:suspect:

I put my grass seed down about 3 weeks ago now and I noticed this morning there some nice little blades coming up :)

I was worried for a bit!

Just scruff the area up first with a rake then sprinkle the grass seed down (not too much) and then cover with a layer of compost. The important thig is to ensure it doesn't dry out - so water every day and keep the mower off those areas (however still mow the rest of the lawn as normal as this will encourage the rest of the grass to grow and spead).