Ecclesall Woods - Thursday,19th.April

This week's Thursday evening stroll takes us through Ecclesall Woods.With any luck, the bluebells should be in full bloom making for a very picturesque walk,indeed.

Some info. about the woods here:-

http://tinyurl.com/23yxeo

Walkers are asked to meet at Dore Station (it's actually a restaurant..) at 6pm.

For anyone coming from the other side of town - the station is just past Abbeydale Garden Centre... left hand side on the road up to Totley (Abbeydale Road South).

Lurkers out there who'd like to come walking with us - please come along.You are more than welcome to join us on any of our walks,be they mid-week strolls or Sunday 'biggies'.

This walk is unofficial.

Ooh, this sounds like another good one, but I'm going to miss the evening walk again! :mad:

Hopefully next one though...

I know, I say that every week!

Can't make this one, I'm afraid. Have to go to Brum for the day and doubt I'll be back in time.

Is this a fairly flat walk or are there hills along the way ?

It's quite flat,Gris.(From what I can remember.)

Taxman's tiptoe-ing through the bluebells with us. :)

Cool, flat is good at the moment for me :) Will see you Thursday in that case - will be getting the number 218 bus from bus station @ 17:40, arriving Dore at 18:00 if the timetable is to be believed :)

Taxman's tiptoe-ing through the bluebells with us. :)

Put me down for some tiptoe-ing as well :)

Cool, flat is good at the moment for me :) Will see you Thursday in that case - will be getting the number 218 bus from bus station @ 17:40, arriving Dore at 18:00 if the timetable is to be believed :)

You'll have some gorgeous scenery to photograph while you're out there too- we were commenting on how beautiful it is up there at the moment with the bluebells just starting to come out when we were walking in Ecclesall Woods yesterday.

I'll be on this along at 18.00 hrs (6.00 pm) hopefully with one of my dogs.

It is a good job that Alderman J.G.Graves along with the Town Trustees put up the £26,000.00 in 1926 to buy the woods then later purchasing Ryecroft Glen from the Duke of Rutland. If they hadn't, we would be walking on what would be the additional roadways of Eccelsall - Millhouses - Dore.

Listen for the 'Nuthatch' first sighted in 1963 this far north by David Pitts, Verified by Ray Hawley and myself and recorded by the Sorby Natural History Group by David Spalding.

Looking back David Pitts, unknowingly, and others, including myself, did not realise that at that time (1963) we were in fact recording a indication of of global warming. The Nuthatch at this time, only breed northwards as far as Newstead Abbey, Nottinghamshire. It's food supply, allowing it to breed, had moved further north due to a shift in warmer climate.

Couldnt make it today unfortunately - hope you have nice walk :)

Gorgeous walk through the woods in the evening sun.(Although the clouds did seem a little dark,at one point..)

Albert and little Robbie,neoteric,taxman and I were joined by Kathy and her friend,Sheila.( Waving to both of them..:wave: )

Kathy has been lurking, spotted the thread re. this walk - and decided to join us and bring a friend.Lovely to meet them both and if you're reading - please come along more often - it was a pleasure meeting you and chatting. :)

Fab to bump into Whitemutt and little Maggie the dog out for an evening stroll in the woods.Hope they both got back home safely.

Wonderful to see the woodpecker and the bluebells in all their semi-glory.Two weeks more will see them in full bloom,methinks.

Thanks to Albert for leading the way and for providing some very interesting information and to taxman for telling me what all the lovely woodland flowers and birds are called.:)

See you Sunday,folks.