New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

The Hallam Constituancy has the highest number of Millionaires outside of SE England

And your evidence for this is...............???????????

I don't think there is any.

The NRQ will be OK, it'll do well, Sheffield has enough wealth to support it :thumbsup:

But we're never going to be a Manchester or Leeds - let's keep a realistic perspective :cool:

And your evidence for this is...............???????????

Running ahead of myself, wealthiest not millionaires....

BBC Online Item - Just over 16% of all people in the London district earn over £60,000 a year. In South Yorkshire's Sheffield Hallam, the highest ranking area outside London for overall wealth, the proportion stands at almost 12%.

see also 2002 BBC item

How many times must developers and councillers fall flat on there arse. I see yet another failure. Sheffield needs more higher paying jobs to facilitate these shops. The economy is ****.

Why the obsession with tourism?????

But Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham city centres aren't full of tourists.

How do you know? Do they have to be Japanese with cameras, or fat Americans wearing vulgar clothing?

Lots of regular folk take city breaks. My missus's birthday is in March - hardly the weather for a beach holiday - so we take city breaks, and so do many others.

The people that spend money in NRQ type retail don't really give a damn about the price of parking and so long as they can get close, they are happy... Look at John Lewis car park, nearly always full, yet the nearest multi-storey - Wellington Street is practically empty on Saturdays...

You're spot on there. You only have to look at the queue of traffic for the (not free) M&S underground carpark on Deansgate (Manchester) at the weekend - conveniently close to all the posh shops in this area, even on a Sunday when street parking is free.

Its an interesting sociological question as to why Manchester always bigs itself up and Sheffield always puts itself down. Maybe its to do with the many years of heavy industry when only a tiny fraction of the population were in charge and everyone else was working for t'boss - and so not feel in control of their own destiny or have many opportunties to progress. Where as Manchester (and Leeds) always had lost of merchants, business men etc. Or maybe its the lack of Irish influence in Sheffield? Who knows - but there's definatly a different attitude...

answers on a postcard please...

Why do people have to put sheffield down all the bloody time.

Because that's what Sheffielders do (well most of 'em)

If they put as much time into doing (and saying) something positive, this city would be a much better place.

I've said this before but i wonder why those who don't like the city move somewhere else? If i disliked the place so much i'd up sticks and move to the utopia of choice.

You're spot on there. You only have to look at the queue of traffic for the (not free) M&S underground carpark on Deansgate (Manchester) at the weekend - conveniently close to all the posh shops in this area, even on a Sunday when street parking is free.

Sounds quite plausable.

I've often wondered why Sheffielders are so negative :confused:

what is NRQ ? please

New retail quarter.

Sheffield badly needs it. I honestly think that if Sheffield had quality shops, it would be one of the nicest cities in the UK.

I don't like any argument that includes Meadowhall and Sheffield not being wealthy in the same sentence. The City's being regenerated becuase the richer side of the city find going to Meadowhall harder than town.

If I could buy the same clothes in the City and Meadowhall then I'd be in the City everytime. If anything the NRQ will make Meadowhall less profitable, not the other way round.

i think the council is to blame for not promoting sheffield enough the nrq will work if the council tourism lot pull there finger out