New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

yes but sheffield council dont help things as usual since labour took back over the city has gone backwards fact its a well known fact there difficult to deal with

What are you talking about.

This is a private business choosing whether or not to be an anchor tennant in a private property development.

The Council proposed a scheme in partnership with various developers, construction companies and contractors. John Lewis showed interest in being a anchor tennant of the development. The global economy changed, the scheme collapsed and the developer walked leaving the council up a creek without a paddle. Subsequently John Lewis CHOSE to stay put and invest in improving their existing store instead.

The Council have now tried to salvage the scheme in some new form with a new developer. John Lewis were offered a place within it, but as of time of writing THEY have CHOSEN not to sign up.

Im sure there are lots of things the council can be blamed for but I really think you are misguided on this specific point.

I say again. John Lewis made the decison not the council.

Face facts, even if they wanted to, there is no way the the council will risk losing their most valuable retailer by threatening CPO to knock down their store and demand they move against their wishes.

If you are that aggrieved about the poor offering in the city go aim your fire at John Lewis Head Office.

Edited by ECCOnoob

what garbage you will always need retail and sheffield city centre hasnt got half the stores other cities has

Because it has a huge out of town shopping centre three miles from the city centre - why would any of the stores there want another large store so close?

And yes we will always need retail (I never disputed that), but it will look different to how it used to thanks to internet.

We'' also always need the media but that doesn't mean the Sheffield Star will be hear in paper form forever

what garbage you will always need retail and sheffield city centre hasnt got half the stores other cities has

I wouldn't say it was garbage. We've already seen companies close stores in Sheffield city centre in favour of Meadowhall or other towns.

Other retailers and chain restaurants are experiencing problems and closing smaller stores. My local town is losing their branch of New Look and Prezzo, and M&S but the Liverpool ones will remain open.

So, yes, you will always need retail, but with fewer branches and making the customer do the legwork to get to them.

I wouldn't say it was garbage. We've already seen companies close stores in Sheffield city centre in favour of Meadowhall or other towns.

Other retailers and chain restaurants are experiencing problems and closing smaller stores. My local town is losing their branch of New Look and Prezzo, and M&S but the Liverpool ones will remain open.

So, yes, you will always need retail, but with fewer branches and making the customer do the legwork to get to them.

I spent over 20 years in the retail sector, up to 1985, I ended up in a managerial/ buying position, the one thing that never changes is that everyone knows how to run retail stores/shops better than those who actually do it. I well recall attempting to explain the principal of ‘profit on return’ to future leader of Sheffield City Council’, I gave up in the end.

Trading from city centre premises is very expensive, if folk are willing to pay far more for the same goods that they can buy on line for far less, then bring it on, however I won’t hold my breath.

I spent over 20 years in the retail sector, up to 1985, I ended up in a managerial/ buying position, the one thing that never changes is that everyone knows how to run retail stores/shops better than those who actually do it. I well recall attempting to explain the principal of ‘profit on return’ to future leader of Sheffield City Council’, I gave up in the end.

Trading from city centre premises is very expensive, if folk are willing to pay far more for the same goods that they can buy on line for far less, then bring it on, however I won’t hold my breath.

Spot on. The other factor of course, that everyone seems to miss, is that 'high end stores' require people to have money. something that people in Sheffield don't have. The jobs aren't here, and things like council tax rises eat up more and more of people's disposable income.

The attitude to retail seems to be 'build it and they will come' - which works fine on paper, and when spouted by people who know little about retail, but 'high end' retailers know better and will always go to where they know the money is.

A far better approach would be to take an in depth look at what people in Sheffield want, will buy, and can afford to buy. Otherwise you're simply building something up to fail.

Spot on. The other factor of course, that everyone seems to miss, is that 'high end stores' require people to have money. something that people in Sheffield don't have. The jobs aren't here, and things like council tax rises eat up more and more of people's disposable income.

The attitude to retail seems to be 'build it and they will come' - which works fine on paper, and when spouted by people who know little about retail, but 'high end' retailers know better and will always go to where they know the money is.

A far better approach would be to take an in depth look at what people in Sheffield want, will buy, and can afford to buy. Otherwise you're simply building something up to fail.

Just wondered why the Moor seems to be on the up and attracting shops.? OK it's not the high-end stuff but its a lot well know middle brands. I think I've seen 20% increase in footfall mentioned and that was before the Light opened Is it the combination of retail and leisure. Is it because it's privately owned (apart from Debenhams which is due to have a makeover to bring it in line). What it does lack is an early evening culture. Have they finally got it right on the Moor?

Edit to say... people say there is no money here yet Sheffield Hallam was still featuring in the top couple of highest earning areas outside of London.

Edited by WalkleyIan

Just wondered why the Moor seems to be on the up and attracting shops.? OK it's not the high-end stuff but its a lot well know middle brands. I think I've seen 20% increase in footfall mentioned and that was before the Light opened Is it the combination of retail and leisure. Is it because it's privately owned (apart from Debenhams which is due to have a makeover to bring it in line). What it does lack is an early evening culture. Have they finally got it right on the Moor?

Maybe because folk park up in the likes of Waitrose, Staples etc, walk onto The Moor, do their shopping and exit the city centre without paying parking costs.

I think they're pitching it right - as you say, it's well known middle brands, selling things that people can afford. It's also become clean and tidy, which helps a lot I think. People want a pleasant environment to shop in- otherwise they can just order online.

In contrast of course, you have fargate- an absolute mess at present, covered with scaffolding, litter and people pretending to be homeless asking you for money every 100 metres. These are the sort of things that make think they won't bother, as it's a miserable and unwelcoming environment.

Sheffield Council - Rockingham St and Carver St £5/day

Bank Park - Milton St £4/day

Bank Park - Sylvester St - £3.50/day

Sheffield Council - Copper St, Silver St - £3/day

Total Car Parks - Chatham St £2.80/day

Bank Park Meadow St - £2.50/day

Sheffield Council - Willey St, Stanley Lane, Trinity St - £2/day

You can also park on-street just outside the city centre in the Highfield Permit Parking zone (The area between London Rd and Queens Rd)on up to 10 hour bays for £2.80 / day. There is free parking in all of the permit parking zones around the edge of the city centre but it tends to be taken early in the day.

thanks Planner1. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think they're pitching it right - as you say, it's well known middle brands, selling things that people can afford. It's also become clean and tidy, which helps a lot I think. People want a pleasant environment to shop in- otherwise they can just order online.

In contrast of course, you have fargate- an absolute mess at present, covered with scaffolding, litter and people pretending to be homeless asking you for money every 100 metres. These are the sort of things that make think they won't bother, as it's a miserable and unwelcoming environment.

I think the short answer is a private investment company is now responsible for the Moor and is spending the money it has to improve the moor in order to make money. Fargate doesn't have the same status/backing.

Edit to say... people say there is no money here yet Sheffield Hallam was still featuring in the top couple of highest earning areas outside of London.

(My bold)

I think that's exactly it. You can't watch a movie and have some food out from the internet. The high street can't just be about shops - it has to give people other reasons to come into town. The planned bowling alley on the Moor will add to this.

That's why I think the new city centre proposals by the council are pretty sensible; offices and residential to actually get more people based/living in the middle of town, combined with things you can't do from the internet, like the food hall and restoration of Leah's Yard for small, bespoke makers.

City centres have got to evolve into places what are not just about shopping 9 to 5 and start providing more variation like the moor area is starting to provide and extending the using hours more