New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

Oh didn't know about retail bit it only says HSBC on the wall round it

Me either - needs better publicity!

Isn't that HSBC, not retail?

Retail in the bottom, office space on top.

This is what is being created after they smashed down the Grosvenor hotel???

Was that always part of the grand plan?

I wasn't sure if it was a side-project or add-on thats come about on it's own.

Not noticed the building work opposite Debenhams then?

Yep . A large office block with a few retail units underneath

That may be two new Next shops in Sheffield I thought one was going to be on new retail park at Meadowhead

Sheffield council killed Sheffield city center with there incompetence with seven stone.

The city center has been dead for too long to expect anything on the scale of a Leeds or Manchester.

Poor road planning makes driving to the center a nightmare only to have to pay to park when you can easily drive to Meadowhall and park for free.

What can Sheffield city center offer that places like Meadowhall carnt?

Atkinson’s, John Lewis, Moore market.... wow oh and rip off parking.

Edited by V Meldrew

That may be two new Next shops in Sheffield I thought one was going to be on new retail park at Meadowhead

I might be wrong then. For some reason I thought it was moving into the old BHS shop.

This is what is being created after they smashed down the Grosvenor hotel???

Was that always part of the grand plan?

I wasn't sure if it was a side-project or add-on thats come about on it's own.

Whatever you call the retail quarter, it was always going to be retail and office space with a dash of leisure. The first phase of the development has been catalysed by HSBC's desire for a new office, and the council having a site perfect for them given the Grosvenor had pretty much become derelict and would have needed significant investment to be a modern hotel again, I struggle to see the problem there will be significant improvements to the surrounding square.

Any other development will be similarly based around whatever new anchor tenant they can find, I wouldn't hold much confidence in any mooted plans until they start actually building.

There's no sign of Debenhams' promised facelift which they said they would do after the Grosvenor came down. I hope that now they are in financial difficulties and closing some stores that they are not going to Clegg on their previous commitment.

Yes smiggs I think that area will be very much improved with this first stage of development and look forward to the next. It seems like only yesterday I went around their with my mum and is was a bomb site after the war.