New Retail Quarter in the City Centre

This is the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen. Sensationalist nonsense from the Star purely to shift papers/website hits.

Developer haven't commented, Council committed to work still - enabling works still going ahead.

There's been "no date for construction to start" for about 2 months, why this has become news today is beggers belief. Although the fact its running with no byline suggests my original thought of wanting to sell papers.

Good. One less concrete lump with a ubiquitous 'water feature' and the same chain stores you get in every other town. :thumbsup:

We don't have even the chain stores that "other towns" have, and we're a city for gods sake.

As I posted in the other thread;

This is the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen. Sensationalist nonsense from the Star purely to shift papers/website hits.

Developer haven't commented, Council committed to work still - enabling works still going ahead.

There's been "no date for construction to start" for about 2 months, why this has become news today is beggers belief. Although the fact its running with no byline suggests my original thought of wanting to sell papers.

... yeah and most people react to it as such.

I hope it is delayed for an indefinite period,so the plans can be redrawn up,as it's the ugliest,most unasthetically pleasing piece of design I've ever seen in the centre of town.

If this is the best we can do,then god help us all.

Most of it would have been condemned as grim when we had the Hole In The Road,The Eggbox,and the Goodwin Fountain at the top of Fargate.It doesn't look 21st Century to me - it looks like a 1970's carpark.

I hope it is delayed for an indefinite period,so the plans can be redrawn up,as it's the ugliest,most unasthetically pleasing piece of design I've ever seen in the centre of town.

Indeed, the 'Moor Plans' looked disappointingly ugly; Maybe the Council will come to their senses and create something more imaginative to fill the vacant sites while they wait for the economic situation to improve. And they would be far better off gutting and re-using the EXISTING perfectly sound concrete shells of buildings along the Moor (Like how Park Hill flats are being redone), rather than totally demolishing them. think of the money and hassle which would be saved!

I'm personally glad that this will mean that both Dempseys and the Lions Lair pub will now have a secure future on their present sites for several more years!

I can't see the problem. Right now it's a disaster if they don'e build and potentially more of a disaster if they do.

There are a lot of empty premises in that area now and what the council should do with the developer is smarten the place up even if that means just putting hoardings over the empty shop fronts for the time being.

Amazing how the planners and developers can generate all that dereliction and just walk away from it.

The last time the Moor looked such a mess was for the fifteen years after 1940.

Only in Sheffield I do hope that council are supporting 2 Sheffield independants in the middle of all this disaster area Atkinsons & Pollards. They talk of re letting empty units think they would have to be rent free to get anyone in.

No one from the council have mentioned the shortfall of funds for the city due to the lack of business rates coming from the majority of the city centre.

A most welcome news! At least the recession has some good effects: no more building

Amazing how the planners and developers can generate all that dereliction and just walk away from it.

The last time the Moor looked such a mess was for the fifteen years after 1940.

The Moor was not part of the new retail quarter.
I can't see the problem. Right now it's a disaster if they don'e build and potentially more of a disaster if they do.
As sad as the people who want the Sheffield Bullring, if there is no money to build it and there is no one having money to spend in it then there is no need to build it.

I was all for the redevelopment of Sheffield City Centre, Christ knows it's needed it ever since the hellhole that is Meadowhall was built. However the overly ambitious and expensive plans seem to be doomed to failure since the very moment they were announced. Surely improving the sadly lacking retail situation should have been the first thing on the agenda not huge glittering concourses, over priced bars, hundreds of luxury flats and marble benches that no on sits on. The saddest part is many perfectly good and in some cases attractive or iconic buildings have been torn down only to be to be replaced by ugly 'Lego Space City' type buildings or even worse nothing at all.

The fact its grinding to a halt doesn't surprise me one bit, it been on the cards for ages! Its a damn shame but I cant help but think I told you so.

Edited by Sleeeeves

A lot of people are mixing up the Moor and Markets development with the Sevenside (or whatever it is called). I don't think they (the Council) have got anything to do with the Sevenside development.

I haven't heard that the Moor development isn't going ahead or is that also in mothballs for the time being.

Shame so many shops and pubs had to close to make way for this scheme, which are still stood there empty and boarded up.

Which pubs are these?