Customs Charges

Originally posted by ncrossland

If its sent via UPS it won't slip through like it sometimes does with Royal Mail. You can always ring the HMCE hotline number (probably on their website) - they are very helpful at telling you what % it should be charged at (also useful to get the 'official' rate, in case UPS decide to charge you more)

Thanks, i think i'll do that. I don't want to pay anymore than i have to. I guess i'll just have to wait for them to get here and see how much i get stung for. :(

gifts are NOT exempt from customs charges. the limits are

£18 for a purchase and £36 for a gift

its a standard charge from whereever in the world.

it does alter for types of purchase. In the same way products in this country have different VAT charges.

you will also get hit by a handling charge by the carrier

I bought a guitar from the US several years ago for around $700. If I remember correctly UPS charged me around £120 when they delivered it.

Steep but still a lot cheaper than buying the same guitar over here!

Well i've been charged a total of £106. Bit more than i was expecting to pay but seen as you can't buy them over here i guess i didnt have much choice really.

Originally posted by robbie

gifts are NOT exempt from customs charges. the limits are

£18 for a purchase and £36 for a gift

its a standard charge from whereever in the world.

it does alter for types of purchase. In the same way products in this country have different VAT charges.

you will also get hit by a handling charge by the carrier

Yeah but surely if its all wrapped up as a gift and mark up as less than £36, even tho it could be worth £2000 it would get through without having to pay anything.

Only took 5 days for my cues to get from New York to Sheffield. I was pretty chuffed about that, i was expecting it to be a fair bit longer.