Horseracing Thread

Anyone putting any money on the derby? Am not sure about Authorized - might lay it!

Groan.

Had backed Arabian Gulf at 50s, but it pulled out this morning.

So now have money on Aqaleem.

Measured Tempo in the Oaks today.

Peeping Fawn a high priced (48-1 on BetFair) long shot.

Drat...

Peeping Fawn 2nd. I had £5 at 48-1 on to win.

Didnt see it, did the winner win by much??!!

I think today was a day that Henry thought would never, ever happen again. To see that sort of emotion in a trainer, let alone the reception he got said it all.

I've always been a Cecil fan (I backed the first string though :shakes: ), but a few years ago, I thought he was as good as finished. What with his personal problems (all of them), and having to send horses into sellers and claimers, owners fleeing ship, it looked rough.

Tremendously happy to see him back, and to be proved wrong.

WELL DONE HENRY!

I think today was a day that Henry thought would never, ever happen again. To see that sort of emotion in a trainer, let alone the reception he got said it all.

I've always been a Cecil fan (I backed the first string though :shakes: ), but a few years ago, I thought he was as good as finished. What with his personal problems (all of them), and having to send horses into sellers and claimers, owners fleeing ship, it looked rough.

Tremendously happy to see him back, and to be proved wrong.

WELL DONE HENRY!

I think the above tribute is excellent and most sporting.

When stuck for ideas I sometimes look at the newspaper naps (688 on BBC1

teletext plus 577 on Channel 4 CFAX pick of the day. Today so far Echelon at 7/4, Lake Poet at 6/1, Vitznau at 5/2 and Starlit Sands at 5/4. Two to go. Both long odds, Carcinetto at 8.30 and Jamaahir at 8.20.

I enjoy regular trips to the races. Went to Chester this month, plan a trip to York in July and Haydock in September. Few mates, family members - can be a great day. A few ales and a few winners. If anyone's going to York July 13th, let me know.

DERBY PREVIEW BBC 2 7.30PM (in a few minutes)

Merely trying to give credit to trainer Michael Jarvis whose level-headed and rational judgement I much respect. 75 minutes ahead of The Oaks, he was interviewed on BBC about his earlier runner and then asked about the fillies' Classic and he said he fancied Light Shift ahead of her stable companion as he was impressed how she'd stuck her neck out and raced to victory in one of her previous races this season. A very astute comment Michael!

Indeed, and Epsom is one of the few tracks where Chester form really holds up, and it certainly was in the way that All My Loving was back in third having been beaten by Light Shift in the Cheshire Oaks.

I missed the beginning of the show. Was he talking about Sunlight or Fashion Statement?

Indeed, and Epsom is one of the few tracks where Chester form really holds up, and it certainly was in the way that All My Loving was back in third having been beaten by Light Shift in the Cheshire Oaks.

I missed the beginning of the show. Was he talking about Sunlight or Fashion Statement?

Neither! He was talking about Forroger who had been backed all morning and was 4-1 when MAJ appeared on the box. He said the horse had been badly bumped on his previous run and he expected a much bolder showing. The horse's priced contracted to 11-4 but never threatened as you probably saw, finishing seventh. The stable is usually on the mark when the cash is down. They do particularly well at Haydock but you won't need me to tell you that!

Neither! He was talking about Forroger who had been backed all morning and was 4-1 when MAJ appeared on the box. He said the horse had been badly bumped on his previous run and he expected a much bolder showing. The horse's priced contracted to 11-4 but never threatened as you probably saw, finishing seventh. The stable is usually on the mark when the cash is down. They do particularly well at Haydock but you won't need me to tell you that!

I have to say I picked out Forrager as my choice for the race, but at 9/2 on the tissue it wasn't that much of a price so I swerved it. Thankfully! To be honest, I think there could have been an old fashioned move by the bookies to lay a horse they thought would get beaten, as I'm sure the opening show was given as nearer 6's, or even 7's.

Sunlight was beaten by Light Shift in her maiden, and then Fashion Statement was beaten at Chester.