Horseracing Thread

I find things all too predictable in Ireland; take for example a 6-race cad at Leopardstown. O'Brien will have two winners, John Oxx (Aga Khan) one, Dermot Weld (Moyglare) and Jim Bolger (Dobson) but which one will it be?

That leaves one more race; if Kevin Prendergast (Lady O'Reilly) doesn't scoop it, it gives a glint for the likes of Ger Lyons, Harry Rogers.

All the above are nice guys, very approachable but just smacks of more shall have more. The jumping scene has a wider scope.

Using the word scope, isn't the Scoop6 following a similar theme?

The Scoop6 has turned into a money-making machine for the large syndicates. Not that it concerns my betting activities, as I have never entered a bet on any jackpot. Finding one winner is hard enough, mind you I did today, Commando Scott at 10-1. The rain came just in time!

I find things all too predictable in Ireland; take for example a 6-race cad at Leopardstown. O'Brien will have two winners, John Oxx (Aga Khan) one, Dermot Weld (Moyglare) and Jim Bolger (Dobson) but which one will it be?

That leaves one more race; if Kevin Prendergast (Lady O'Reilly) doesn't scoop it, it gives a glint for the likes of Ger Lyons, Harry Rogers.

All the above are nice guys, very approachable but just smacks of more shall have more. The jumping scene has a wider scope.

Using the word scope, isn't the Scoop6 following a similar theme?

Some sympathy there, but it is changing as interest in Irish racing grows. Go back 10 years, and the only time an Irish card would be up in the offices was if everything else was rained/snowed off in winter.

The only irritating thing about it is that now it's not a 'cartel' in bumpers between Nina Carberry and Katie Walsh! Only from a punting point of view mind you!

The Scoop6 has turned into a money-making machine for the large syndicates. Not that it concerns my betting activities, as I have never entered a bet on any jackpot. Finding one winner is hard enough, mind you I did today, Commando Scott at 10-1. The rain came just in time!

Yes, I agree. I was looking forward to the Scoop6 coming in, as my mother used to do the ITV6/7, and it used to be a way of having a small stakes interest for a decent pot.

As soon as I saw the fixed £2 stake, I knew it wasn't going to be a bet for me. I've seldom done the Jackpot in 10p perms, let alone a 6 race 'card' which is guaranteed to include the hardest, most unfathomable handicap of the day in £2's.

There was a thread on a racing forum I use recently which looked at the perming aspects, and the possibilities of a syndicate perm.

Putting it simply, the perm would have got the prize, but we'd have been stuffed by a monstrous margin.

To paraphrase an old Head Office Civil Service term, "The cost of the bet, and subsequent return, would have been disproportionate the stake payers.".

Another great day for the smaller man was CAPE MERINO winning Redcar's Two-year-old Trophy for Beverley trainer, Alf Smith at 33-1 (John Lowe).

The race, in 1993, was worth £100,000, a tidy sum then, and better still, as Alf had only a small string, he qualified for bonus which put the icing on the cake. There will have been others since but at the time, the phrase was: "It couldn't have happened to a nicer and more hard-working man!"

It's not much of a price, but I fancy Mount Kilimanjaro in the Henry II Stakes tomorrow evening. Only 7/2, but it's worth the price of a few pints in my opinion.

It's a bit of a forgotten race, now it's been shoved to an evening meeting, but it's a good pointer to Royal Ascot, with the big hill at Sandown being similar.

How is your parents' horse, Castleshane, today after being pulled-up at Market Rasen yesterday. I hope that's not the end of his career.

It aint looking good at the moment unfortunatly, he has done some damage to his Suspensory Tendon, but its too swollen to scan at the moment, so we don't know exactly...hopefully he will be back, but if he is it will be at least a year. Tom said he had plenty left in the tank when he had his accident and thought he was going to win the race...at this time we are just hoping he can be back on the track and get his nasty injury sorted.

Happyhippy...a horse to watch is Kings Account, we have found the key to him now, he needs a bit of give in the ground and he needs to run from the front, hence the improvement when running at Beverley. Also he didn't like the AW. Now on turf, we will run him over a little further, 1m 4f is the likely distance, and we are sure he can reach his old rating of 86(when we bought him) and being rated a low 56 now, we are sure he can pick up a few races throughout the summer. Hopefully he will pass his old rating and stay in the 90's as Steve thinks hes one of the better flat horses in the yard, if he gets his way.

It aint looking good at the moment unfortunatly, he has done some damage to his Suspensory Tendon, but its too swollen to scan at the moment, so we don't know exactly...hopefully he will be back, but if he is it will be at least a year. Tom said he had plenty left in the tank when he had his accident and thought he was going to win the race...at this time we are just hoping he can be back on the track and get his nasty injury sorted.

You're having a bad time SD, what with Sedgefield upsetting you?

That's awful news, and he was going so well at the time too. Best of luck to him and all concerned.

Happyhippy...a horse to watch is Kings Account, we have found the key to him now, he needs a bit of give in the ground and he needs to run from the front, hence the improvement when running at Beverley. Also he didn't like the AW. Now on turf, we will run him over a little further, 1m 4f is the likely distance, and we are sure he can reach his old rating of 86(when we bought him) and being rated a low 56 now, we are sure he can pick up a few races throughout the summer. Hopefully he will pass his old rating and stay in the 90's as Steve thinks hes one of the better flat horses in the yard, if he gets his way.

Cheers for the pointer. Was it the kickback he resented, and/or the type of surface in general?

I was really sorry to read this: he's been one of my favourite horses for a long time! Please let us know how he gets on.

That's awful news, and he was going so well at the time too. Best of luck to him and all concerned.

Cheers for the pointer. Was it the kickback he resented, and/or the type of surface in general?

Yer, he didn't like the kickback and he didn't settle when sat in behind horses either, with a rating of 54 he cud pick up a fair few races before he gets back up to his old 86 or even higher hopefully

I was really sorry to read this: he's been one of my favourite horses for a long time! Please let us know how he gets on.

Thanks, will tell u any news, he hopefully has his scan next week, if his leg isnt so swollen/