Sign in to follow this  

Spybot S & D help

Having installed Spybot Search and Destroy, for the first time, upon setting it to scan for problems, it picks out tracking cookies etc as expected, but if I click on repair problems, firstly it tries to create a restore point for XP, but just sits there with dialog box and does'nt do anything else. Is this normally a long process for it to create a restore point ? finally I have to reset pc to get rid of it. But if go into Spybot settings and uncheck "create restore point" it will indeed repair the problems. I've checked that I have restore points enabled and downloaded latest spybot updates.

Just wondered if anyone else has encounted anything like this.

It does take a while to create a restore point so I've unchecked it too. My pc has a 2.3ghz CPU and it's still takes 20 seconds or so. I'd say it's pretty normal and nothing to worry about. Also, don't worry too much about restore points as one is created every time you boot up your PC so you should always have a recent one to fall back on (unless you never switch off your pc).

I had exactly the same problem when i used it for the first time. The message box just stayed there for about 5mins (And i have a 2.7ghz processor!). I could'nt close the program or anything. Eventually i clicked on the 'check for problems' icon again and the message box closed, created a restore point and carried on as normal.

cheers guys, well on that note as the machine I installed it on is quite elderly I think i'll keep the restore points unchecked.