Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more
Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading laptop memory

I want to install more RAM on my laptop. I have a Gateway solo 9300, with 128mb RAM. The RAM is divided into 1x 32mb (built in), 1x32mb slot 1, 1x64mb slot2 (This is all guess work!).

I have run a couple of online ram tests and they state that i can install 544mb ram, however my manual which i downloaded of the net, states that i can only install 256mb ram.

Who do i believe? and where do i get some from in Sheff?.

PS. It says only pc100 will do!

I've always bought ram chips from Crucial (can't remember if they are .com or co.uk as I haven't needed any for a while). I would say try there or Ebuyer, not sure if you would be able to get pc100 though as it is rather old now (the Dell I used to have took pc100 and I bought that in 1998). Crucial might be your best bet.

Not sure which would be the correct amount as it would depend on your motherboard (not quite got up to that level on my course yet). However I would imagine someone else can answer that question.

Hope this helps anyway.

Thanks wendy. It just so happens, i work about half a mile from Ebuyer. I'll check their web site and see what they've got!

Does anyone have any clue as to how much i can install?.

Being as this is old memory, i am wondering if i may be better trying to buy second hand memory?. I'm not that fussy as it's obviously an old laptop.

It depends on your processor speed in this case as the Solo 9300 600mhz and up take 544mb while the models below that take 288mb max.

I have a few sodimm sticks kicking around here if you're interested. I think I have some 128mb and maybe one stick of 256mb.

It shouldn't matter by the way to install pc133 instead of pc100. Most laptops just downclock it automatically although I had problems once with a Toshiba that wouldn't downclock the pc133.

I would be interested in buying 1 or 2 stick's of RAM!

Just a thought, do all laptops take the same size stick's, I think i read in my manual or on a website something about 72 pin's.

Plus how can i tell which stick has what memory, i've taken them out and looked but all they say is 'pc100' and then a serial number, with no reference to mb?

I would appreciate it, if you could PM me genesiscouch with a price when you get the time.

Thanks! :)

You would have to look up the serial number if the MB are not written on the stick (often not). The easier way is you know you have 32mb internal so pull out one stick and restart. Check the amount of memory the internal + 1 stick gives you and do the math. If it's 64mb the stick you have out is 64mb, if it's 96mb the stick you have out is 32mb.

All pc100 sodimm ram is generally the same size. The pin numbers indicate sodimm as compared to desktop dimm (168 pin) as they are both sdram (probably).

Anyways I'll send you a pm. I live in the city centre so if you want to drop by sometime we'll pop some ram in :)