Have I had botulism?

Have you ever had the symptoms before ?

I've had food poisoning before but not that bad, that was why someone said it might be bottleism from a dented tin of tuna. I know it can't have been that now but I'm still think the dented can was suspect, or maybe some salmon I had.

Eating from dented cans is fine. It's swollen cans you wanna be careful of. Means something is respiring in there.

Eating from dented cans is fine. It's swollen cans you wanna be careful of. Means something is respiring in there.

It was swollen:o

It was swollen:o
That'll be what's made you ill, then.

The food will have gone off. It's probably, like others have said, just a case of food poisoning. Nothing to worry about, but don't eat out of cans which look blown out or that hiss when you open them. I'm surprised it didn't smell bad enough to put you off eating it, to be honest.

I think shellfish are the worst culprits for food poisoning aren't they?

Not for salmonella:thumbsup:

That'll be what's made you ill, then.

The food will have gone off. It's probably, like others have said, just a case of food poisoning. Nothing to worry about, but don't eat out of cans which look blown out or that hiss when you open them. I'm surprised it didn't smell bad enough to put you off eating it, to be honest.

Yes that must be it. It tasted a bit funny but nothing major so I didn't think there would be any harm eating it. It's a bit worrying that I could have actually had bottleism from it so I suppose I should count myself lucky

Yes that must be it. It tasted a bit funny but nothing major so I didn't think there would be any harm eating it. It's a bit worrying that I could have actually had bottleism from it so I suppose I should count myself lucky

You are. When i studied Nutrition we did a study of a real case that happened in Scotland. dented tin of salmon, for tea and it killed most of the family. The youngest health child survived but the toxicology showed enough toxin left on the tin opener to kill a man.:gag:

Thats an extreme case so don't take that as an every day occurance. Enjoy you salmon sandwich :thumbsup:

Really? I thought it was something to do with salmon/fish?

No, no, no and no. I've already told you - Salmonella is called Salmonella because a Mr Salmon was one of the people who discovered it.

You are. When i studied Nutrition we did a study of a real case that happened in Scotland. dented tin of salmon, for tea and it killed most of the family. The youngest health child survived but the toxicology showed enough toxin left on the tin opener to kill a man.:gag:

Thats an extreme case so don't take that as an every day occurance. Enjoy you salmon sandwich :thumbsup:

Oh my god! :o It might be an extreme case but it shows you should never eat from dented cans

Not for salmonella:thumbsup:

Well, maybe not for Salmonella but shellfish is the worst culprit for food poisoning generally isn't it

It turns that it may have been a form of bottleism after all. A friend whos done some medical training said there are different strains of it and swollen cans are notoious for harbouring it.

It turns that it may have been a form of bottleism after all. A friend whos done some medical training said there are different strains of it and swollen cans are notoious for harbouring it.

I thought you said the can was dented?:huh:

Swollen cans are a different kettle of fish entirely (pun intended)