Becketts Fish & Chip Shop - Manor Top

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a chip shop next to Tesco on Herries Road and I believe the same person ownes both shops.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a chip shop next to Tesco on Herries Road and I believe the same person ownes both shops.

You are correct...,

But, it's the Manor fish bar that owns them, not the old Becketts that Piker is on about...

I loved old Becketts.. Proper chips they were.. You used to open up the paper, and they were just a lump of chips all stuck together..

Mmmmmm:)

You are correct...,

But, it's the Manor fish bar that owns them, not the old Becketts that Piker is on about...

I loved old Becketts.. Proper chips they were.. You used to open up the paper, and they were just a lump of chips all stuck together..

Mmmmmm:)

Thank you, and just to say that when I was diving a white van I used to adjust my route so I would be near Becket's at dinner time, especially so I could call in, but when it changed hands I went a few times and then stopped going. It's not been the same since.

We used to have Becketts chips saturday afternoons after mum and dad had been shopping in the 70;s They used to call to Fishwicks (was next door to the cinema at Intake) and then we used to have chips and fishcake and a cuppa..lovely. Fishwicks used to sell Fishballs quite a novelty then :)

Got my mouth watering about those chips that used to stick together, and the fishcakes were out of this world!

still go to becketts chippy on manor top (now known as manor top fish bar). they still cook them the same way as before

I disagree - they don't taste the same as they did when it was called Becketts!

I cam back to Sheffield last month and tried some - not the same at all :(

I now live 50 yards from the chip shop in question, and would not even cross the road to eat them, the smell is really bad, i well remember seeing people waiting in line a 100 yards long out side the shop (on a Saturday morning) when it was Becketts, they were that good. Tip of the day, never buy from a chippy that has not got a queue...

My mum used to work in the shop next door but one to becketts(hardware & fancy goods), used to go and get us chips and cake for dinner and stay at work with her instead of going back to school. it was great chippy, really greasy Mmmm

The chips dont taste like they used to, but they are still ok. I hate the fishcakes though, they are just way too fishy for me to eat, just the smell is enough to put me off. :gag:

Last time I went in that place was about 4 years ago with my son-in-law and the portions were really tiny. S-I-L asked if they did childrens portions, to which the reply was NO. 'What the f**k do you call this then', he asked, followed by a stunned silence from the staff & management.

The place is a total sh**hole to be avoided like the plague.

Does anyone remember Henderson's chippy on Darnall Road? They sold excellent fish and chips. After they closed (the council compularily purchased the surrounding houses on Makin Rd, Makin Place and Webster Place and have done nothing woth the land in over 30 years) Beckett's was the only place to go.

i remember the windle family very well they used to live bang across from my grandmother she used to live at no. 2 tuffolds close