Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Can you say a couple of things about what the tip was like?

The Five Arches is boarded up now.

The brand-new school, Watercliffe Meadow, on Boynton Road opened to parents/children for the first time today. The grounds aren't quite finished and the rain's been pouring down, but the school building is amazing - clean, modern, bright - and the kids think it's fantastic - so do their parents!

It's what the community deserves!

the tip was our disneyland,we would rummge through what sheffield was throwing away,build underground dens and have the biggest bonfire in the world...would spend all the six weeks off school either playing on the tip on the nearby railway or in the river don......happy days....and no money in our pockets..

Thank you - brilliant! Today's kids will love to hear about your freedom. Their childhoods are very different but not all change is progress!

Hi everybody, my grandad and grandmother used to live at no 1 Teynham Drive-George and Ivy Pearson. I was born there in 1953 my mother was Florence (sadly passed away on October 1st this year). My uncle is George Pearson and my aunt is Pauline both still living but unwell. I can remember lady with only one leg she used to get about with the aid of a crutch but I can't remember her name. I can recall a Carol Roney she was a friend of my Aunty Pauline. Used to work witha lad called Lol Bloomingstock (I think thats how they spell it) at Welded Alloys and Stainless Products opposite Wednesday's ground in the early 70's also a tall lad called Phil Hammond off Longley Avenue.

Hi Dogman,

I believe I was born next door to you (147 Longley Avenue West, house on the corner), two years earlier in 1951 I remember the family being called Pearson. I seem to remember one of them was a policemen and they were always borrowing - for some reason- vinegar.

The house on the other side (in Longley Avenue) of us were the Jamesons and they had a daughter named Maureen. We were the Marshall family, Mum & Dad were Ruth and George and the kids were me (Keith) and my sis Sylvia.

We moved to Parson Cross in 1954 I think. I remember runnng into the Jamesons drainpipe and splitting my forehead open. There was aguy across the road who had a car (about the only one on the street in those days.

He ambulanced me to the Northen Gen in his Austin 7.

I remember it so clearly even though it was over half a century ago

Best Wishes

Keith

My nan and grandad lived at 196 Longley Avenue West, their surname was Bartholomew. They had a few kids, William, John, Winston, Sylvia, Eric, Charlie and Christopher.

My nan and grandad lived at 196 Longley Avenue West, their surname was Bartholomew. They had a few kids, William, John, Winston, Sylvia, Eric, Charlie and Christopher.

chris was my best mate at school we got into more scrapes than i can remember....happy days

Hello Mr Blue Owl the one you remember as a copper is my uncle George Pearson he's 73 now and not doing very well.

chris was my best mate at school we got into more scrapes than i can remember....happy days

Chris is my Uncle, my dad is Winston.

Do you still see Chris?...if not you'll have to tell me your name and I'll mention you to him next time I see him.

i went to shirecliffe nursery through to senior school i can remember mr robinson as the head of the senior school when i mwas there and mrs steeples would love to find my old school friends i will name a few i can remember linda howard david hutley micheal smout jacqueline rastrick eric robinson i lived on herries road with my gran if these names ring a bell to anyone let me no thank you

Chris is my Uncle, my dad is Winston.

Do you still see Chris?...if not you'll have to tell me your name and I'll mention you to him next time I see him.

my name is tony i lived on musgrave road,he'll know who i am......

my name is tony i lived on musgrave road,he'll know who i am......

I'll let him know next time I see him. :thumbsup:

i went to shirecliffe nursery through to senior school i can remember mr robinson as the head of the senior school when i mwas there and mrs steeples would love to find my old school friends i will name a few i can remember linda howard david hutley micheal smout jacqueline rastrick eric robinson i lived on herries road with my gran if these names ring a bell to anyone let me no thank you

Hi Lyn

Are you Lyn Edwards as on friends reunited. If so, I've only just found this site & looking at your comments, I'm sure I must know you.

We share the same teachers & apparantly knew the same people.

Linda Howard died some years ogo & Linda Crookes also died earlier this year (2008).

I fell in love with jackie Rastrick when I was about 12.

A few of us hold regular meetings at the Carbrook hall pub on Attercliffe Road. Those attending are Maureen Jameson, Ellen Collier, Derick Plant, Colin Stagg, Tony Ball, Roger Starkes, John Hoing, Albert kershaw, Dave Thompson, Cath Chapman, Sue Dyson, Kieth Robinson, Kieth Corbett, Tony Damms, even Clive Sanderson has turned up a couple of times.

sorry ronnie my name was linda holden u have shocked me cos both lindas was my friends but me and jackie was always together i used to go to her house often i know most of the names u have added i lived on herries road with my gran i would love to come to carbrook hall but im not used to comin to meetings and goin to strange places even tho i would love to see u all does david hutley go as he nknows me quite well let me no when the next one is and i will see if i can pluck up courage lol