Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

I lived at Busk meadow Shirecliffe, went to Longley and then to Herries school, Left school in 1984ish! Wish those days were closer!

My Mum lived on Boyton Rd, right at the top in the key hole, she was one of seven they were called Amos.

I remember them, Georgie Lill lived in the keyhole part too, I lived next to the corner of Boynton & Shirecliffe Rd, she would probably remember the Cunninghams, Sidalls, & Mills families.

longley is better than shirecliffe :)

Funny how you lot have always thought that.:hihi::hihi:

I lived at Busk meadow Shirecliffe,

I remember them first building Busk Meadow, then some years later they built some houses in the wood between Busk M & Shirecliffe road, those woods were a paradise for kids when I was growing up there, so were the 7 ponds area behind the Atlas & Norfolk football ground, and also the Meadows, until they turned it into a tip.

Hi :wave: my wife's family moved into that house when your family left, the Robinsons, children, Jimmy, Josephine and John.

Hey TFishcake: are you saying that your wife is Josephine Robinson? (or, at, least I take it that you know her). She and I were in the same class on a number of occasions as we made our way through the various Shirecliffe schools (I even have a class group photo with her (and me) on - from the junior school). Tell her Mick/Michael (was in the 5th form - senior school - with her - 1969/70) sends his regards - I'm sure she'll remember me: there weren't all that many kids in that particular class - it was the first '5th-form' that they'd had at that school for many years. How is she? Hope she is well.

I've lived there all my life, schooled at Southey nursery then juniors & moved on to Shirecliffe Secondary Modern & left without qualifications like most of the others.

There have been a lot of changes along lifes path and many things dissappeared,

The fruit shop at the side of the chippy,the newsagents, CoOp Butchers, Ray's barbers, bungalows through the woods, The flicks Sat matinee show(1 would pay and then let the rest in through the fire door neer the bogs) (now tesco).

Took in Pea shooters that bloody hurt if they got you in the right place & a clip round the earhole or a thump if you got caught.

Never had school meals, always spent the money and nipped home coz Ma & Pa were at work.

Teachers I remember in junior school was only Pop Mason, I was in his class and had the job of cleaning his fishtank out.

At Shirecliffe I remember,,, Mr. Robinson (head), Mr Staley (woodwork) Mr Davidson (geography) Alf & Bill Thomas (Maths) Mr Davies (Science) Freda (Atilla the Hun) Mr Quaill (I think he ended up marrying someone in our class) Mr Smith(music) Mr Valentine (mentally impaired) Forgot the art teachers name but he spoke with a whistles in his words. Chinny ??? (Tech Drawing..a nasty piece of work!!).

Biggest rebellion was to cut the school tie up after getting my leaving report (wow, they probably stab a teacher now !!)

Been in work all my life same as my dad & his dad and raised a daughter who I am proud of.

Enuff Said

Do we know each other? Mr. Quail married Kathleen Cunningham (though I've since heard that they eventually divorced) - she was in my class. I certainly remember most of the teachers you mention, but Mr Davies (science)? Don't remember him. We had Eric Smith for Chemistry (real nice guy - him). The 'art teacher' was Mr Morton - don't know about a whistle in his words - but he had some sort of eye impediment - blinked very frequently and was often referred to as 'Blinker'. 'Chinny... (Tech Drawing)' - the only one I can think of there was Mr Fairhurst, most commonly known as 'Punch' (due to his striking resemblence to the 'Punch & Judy' puppet!). 'Freda (Atilla the Hun) ' LOL Yep, I remember her. She was our 'Form teacher' when I was in the fifth year. We'd heard rumours that she only finished up at Shirecliffe because she'd been thrown out of the Gestapo for cruelty! LOL All great memories though!

Hey TFishcake: are you saying that your wife is Josephine Robinson? (or, at, least I take it that you know her). She and I were in the same class on a number of occasions as we made our way through the various Shirecliffe schools (I even have a class group photo with her (and me) on - from the junior school). Tell her Mick/Michael (was in the 5th form - senior school - with her - 1969/70) sends his regards - I'm sure she'll remember me: there weren't all that many kids in that particular class - it was the first '5th-form' that they'd had at that school for many years. How is she? Hope she is well.

Hi ruswis :wave: yes that's right, we've been married 37 yrs now. You'll have to post the picture up, or e-mail it to me, cause you've got her thinking who you are now :help::hihi:

my dads family came of shirecliffe - teynham drive i think - they were called Walton my dad was 1 of 11

Hi, was it the next to the top house on the left.

What were The Meadows like before they turned it into a tip? And where was The Forum?

where was The Forum?

The Forum (or Essoldo ) was where Tesco's is on Herries Rd,

What were The Meadows like before they turned it into a tip? And where was The Forum?

the meadows used to be a big playground for us,down at the bottom in front of the old cooling towers were called the black tip where allthe residue from the towers were dumped,round the corner from there there was a piggery(chap called frank rogers i think owned it).and it was knee deep in pig sh*t all the way round it,my mate once went in head first as we shinned round it.he,d still be stuck in it now if we hadnt pulled him out(very carefully)it were in his mouth,up his nose and in his ears,:gag:i have never laughed as much since,especially when we got him home,his mother took one look,said stop there,2 minutes later she chucked a bucket of water at him and shouted ,you dirty bleeder!at the back of the piggery were allotments and we used to go in the old greenhouses and bake the odd spud or two.going up towards parkwood springs were the cycle track and bowling green,up from there at the other side of the quarry(where shirecliffe college sports field were)before the houses on standish drive were built was a scrapyard that belonged to the wraggs,we got chased off there a few times,they used to live at the top of musgrave place and later moved to rutland road,though they all seemed decent lads.happy days but would keep clear these days,just a toxic dump.