Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

Ive lived at shirecliffe for around 12yrs.now. Originally from Gleadless via loads of other places inc.shoreham street for a large part of my married life,i first knew about shirecliffe when my dad married a woman from the area she lived on Galsworthy rd,They moved to a house on Penrith road opposit the school -Herries comp. (Now park wood High) next to the path way leading down to Scath wood. My two step brothers and step sister were brought up in shirecliffe,my dad passed away around 12 yrs ago and my step family have moved on,we all went in the 5 arches all the time and occasionally the Dev. (The Devonshire)

Shirecliffe has changed over the years sadly not for the better there are a few people who spoil the area for everyone else,I have very good neighbours on penrith road and a few realy good friends in shirecliffe,its about time all the good people in Shirecliffe got together and did something about the SCUM who are spoiling a good area for the rest of us!

I lived at Shirecliffe for about 18 months 6 years ago, and moved away when they demolished my house. I didnt really want to go there as it was quite far away from my parents but we had no trouble there. Still dont get why they demolished the houses, they were sturdily built! just needed central heating imo!

I've lived there all my life, schooled at Southey nursery then juniors & moved on to Shirecliffe Secondary Modern & left without qualifications like most of the others.

There have been a lot of changes along lifes path and many things dissappeared,

The fruit shop at the side of the chippy,the newsagents, CoOp Butchers, Ray's barbers, bungalows through the woods, The flicks Sat matinee show(1 would pay and then let the rest in through the fire door neer the bogs) (now tesco).

Took in Pea shooters that bloody hurt if they got you in the right place & a clip round the earhole or a thump if you got caught.

Never had school meals, always spent the money and nipped home coz Ma & Pa were at work.

Teachers I remember in junior school was only Pop Mason, I was in his class and had the job of cleaning his fishtank out.

At Shirecliffe I remember,,, Mr. Robinson (head), Mr Staley (woodwork) Mr Davidson (geography) Alf & Bill Thomas (Maths) Mr Davies (Science) Freda (Atilla the Hun) Mr Quaill (I think he ended up marrying someone in our class) Mr Smith(music) Mr Valentine (mentally impaired) Forgot the art teachers name but he spoke with a whistles in his words. Chinny ??? (Tech Drawing..a nasty piece of work!!).

Biggest rebellion was to cut the school tie up after getting my leaving report (wow, they probably stab a teacher now !!)

Been in work all my life same as my dad & his dad and raised a daughter who I am proud of.

Enuff Said

god i remember all of them teachers

Ive lived at shirecliffe for around 12yrs.now. Originally from Gleadless via loads of other places inc.shoreham street for a large part of my married life,i first knew about shirecliffe when my dad married a woman from the area she lived on Galsworthy rd,They moved to a house on Penrith road opposit the school -Herries comp. (Now park wood High) next to the path way leading down to Scath wood. My two step brothers and step sister were brought up in shirecliffe,my dad passed away around 12 yrs ago and my step family have moved on,we all went in the 5 arches all the time and occasionally the Dev. (The Devonshire)

Shirecliffe has changed over the years sadly not for the better there are a few people who spoil the area for everyone else,I have very good neighbours on penrith road and a few realy good friends in shirecliffe,its about time all the good people in Shirecliffe got together and did something about the SCUM who are spoiling a good area for the rest of us!

i know what youre talking about saying certain people spoil the area, me and my wife moved on to longley ave west recently and weve got an immature youth next door who thinks its funny to throw stones at buses and the new school they are building they are at it every night,my wife is a poorly woman she is always keeping me back on a leash, there idea of doing somethink constructive is stand on street corners causing as much mayhem as possible, police dont want to know, phone them and hour and half later they phone you to ask if they are still there,very helpful i think not.

A bit off topic...... :cool:

But does anyone know anything about Shirecliffe Hall?? A family called Watson lived there in the 1800s at least until the early 1900s

I'd like to know more about them

Cheers!!!!

xCx

This was at the crest of the hill at Cookswood road - Shirecliffe Lane, I did a bit of research, if I can find it, there should be bits of info out there on the web.

According to Jeff Knaggs site Sir Henry Edmund Watson died 1901 age 85

anyone remember Ted Nutthall ,tennent from it's opening in 61

Me and my friend used to hang around with Jeremy Nuthall when we were kids so I gather that Ted was his Dad as Jeremy lived in the forty foot as well.

I used to live on Adkins Road which was behind the forty foot then in 1975 we moved to Standish Close up near the Timbertop. My parents still live there now but are thinking of selling up.

Me and my friend used to hang around with Jeremy Nuthall when we were kids so I gather that Ted was his Dad as Jeremy lived in the forty foot as well.

I used to live on Adkins Road which was behind the forty foot then in 1975 we moved to Standish Close up near the Timbertop. My parents still live there now but are thinking of selling up.

Nuttalls had the Victoria in Grimesthorpe before they took the Fortyfoot. I went to school with their son Terry and new him quite well. He would probably be about 63 or 64 now I would think. I didn't know that they had a son called Jeremy. They had two little girls but one died when she was only a baby. The other ones name was Kim I think but I'm not sure.

Dors.

Hi everybody, my grandad and grandmother used to live at no 1 Teynham Drive-George and Ivy Pearson. I was born there in 1953 my mother was Florence (sadly passed away on October 1st this year). My uncle is George Pearson and my aunt is Pauline both still living but unwell. I can remember lady with only one leg she used to get about with the aid of a crutch but I can't remember her name. I can recall a Carol Roney she was a friend of my Aunty Pauline. Used to work witha lad called Lol Bloomingstock (I think thats how they spell it) at Welded Alloys and Stainless Products opposite Wednesday's ground in the early 70's also a tall lad called Phil Hammond off Longley Avenue.

Hi :wave: my wife's family moved into that house when your family left, the Robinsons, children, Jimmy, Josephine and John.

Nuttalls had the Victoria in Grimesthorpe before they took the Fortyfoot. I went to school with their son Terry and new him quite well. He would probably be about 63 or 64 now I would think. I didn't know that they had a son called Jeremy. They had two little girls but one died when she was only a baby. The other ones name was Kim I think but I'm not sure.

Dors.

you get about a bit dors,i remember that name terry nuttall.try and wrack your brain you2 and find me the name of barbara steveson hubbie then i can ask on this thread.you havent much else to do now your retired.:lol::lol:

My Mum lived on Boyton Rd, right at the top in the key hole, she was one of seven they were called Amos.