Anyone Come From Shirecliffe

They knocked down loads on my road in shirecliffe (penrith road) im the side near the tip and theres like one block gone one there etc.. all the way along because the house on this end that have stayed are privately owned or like us 3 out of 4 are,,

my dads family came of shirecliffe - teynham drive i think - they were called Walton my dad was 1 of 11

I've lived there all my life, schooled at Southey nursery then juniors & moved on to Shirecliffe Secondary Modern & left without qualifications like most of the others.

There have been a lot of changes along lifes path and many things dissappeared,

The fruit shop at the side of the chippy,the newsagents, CoOp Butchers, Ray's barbers, bungalows through the woods, The flicks Sat matinee show(1 would pay and then let the rest in through the fire door neer the bogs) (now tesco).

Took in Pea shooters that bloody hurt if they got you in the right place & a clip round the earhole or a thump if you got caught.

Never had school meals, always spent the money and nipped home coz Ma & Pa were at work.

Teachers I remember in junior school was only Pop Mason, I was in his class and had the job of cleaning his fishtank out.

At Shirecliffe I remember,,, Mr. Robinson (head), Mr Staley (woodwork) Mr Davidson (geography) Alf & Bill Thomas (Maths) Mr Davies (Science) Freda (Atilla the Hun) Mr Quaill (I think he ended up marrying someone in our class) Mr Smith(music) Mr Valentine (mentally impaired) Forgot the art teachers name but he spoke with a whistles in his words. Chinny ??? (Tech Drawing..a nasty piece of work!!).

Biggest rebellion was to cut the school tie up after getting my leaving report (wow, they probably stab a teacher now !!)

Been in work all my life same as my dad & his dad and raised a daughter who I am proud of.

Enuff Said

I Have Lived On Shirecliffe All My Life Does Anyone Else Come From The Area ?

My dad comes from Shirecliffe, he lived at 58 Longley Avenue West.

I remember as a kid staying there with my gran and going across to the beer off shop, i think it was called mabel hammonds? my dad is Graham Hoole. Great area then when i was growing up in the 70's and 80's, doesn't look too good now though. sad really.

I Have Lived On Shirecliffe All My Life Does Anyone Else Come From The Area ?

hi charlotte iwas born at 265 shirecliffe road in jan 1960.

hi i lived in 5 arches pub from it opening till 1966 was 3 when we moved in, 14 when we left just after wednesday lost cup final 2 sad day in 2 weeks

yeh Charlotte

I went 2 shirecliffe 60 to65 longley juniors 55 to 60

teachers miss Tippet/miss wood /****** Watson/Aggie /alf and Bill Thomas Stayley{woodwork]/cooper music/Hedley [games]Eric Robinson[head]Clive Sanderson.Vallantine.

I used to hang around with Mick Cox/Pete Hunt/Percy/Rog Starkes /and more .used 2 go 2 forum friday nights back row with the girls.coats over knees .brill times,where r they now I wonder

Pat Smith Linda Crookes Val Law/Maria Robinson/Linda Howard/Margarete Chew/theres a reunion 1st dec at wentworth pub near arena tommorrow night by the way

anyone remember the old lady from the early 60s lived on Donavan behind the forty foot nicknamed Ivy wello cos she wore wellies all year round and used to jump on the no.10 to town and back

forty foot boarded up now by the way,sign of the times.

anyone remember Ted Nutthall ,tennent from it's opening in 61

earnest used to help on the bar/pinball machine 10 pints to highest score once a week the winner always used to be [Pedro] john ? I think was his name around 66.

juke box was a sixpence 4 three plays/and beer 1 and 11 old money 4 a pint, thats 10 pints 4 a pound.

Hi everybody, my grandad and grandmother used to live at no 1 Teynham Drive-George and Ivy Pearson. I was born there in 1953 my mother was Florence (sadly passed away on October 1st this year). My uncle is George Pearson and my aunt is Pauline both still living but unwell. I can remember lady with only one leg she used to get about with the aid of a crutch but I can't remember her name. I can recall a Carol Roney she was a friend of my Aunty Pauline. Used to work witha lad called Lol Bloomingstock (I think thats how they spell it) at Welded Alloys and Stainless Products opposite Wednesday's ground in the early 70's also a tall lad called Phil Hammond off Longley Avenue.

anyone remember the old lady from the early 60s lived on Donavan behind the forty foot nicknamed Ivy wello cos she wore wellies all year round and used to jump on the no.10 to town and back

forty foot boarded up now by the way,sign of the times.

anyone remember Ted Nutthall ,tennent from it's opening in 61

earnest used to help on the bar/pinball machine 10 pints to highest score once a week the winner always used to be [Pedro] john ? I think was his name around 66.

juke box was a sixpence 4 three plays/and beer 1 and 11 old money 4 a pint, thats 10 pints 4 a pound.

my grandad was first customer in forty foot, lived in house behind.

Teds still alive, saw him at owls match recently,wasnt the old lady called florry.