Abbeydale picture house

That's right give a girl a bad name !

Sorry love. No reference to you at all.

love it !!!! The comment about the Express dairy was three years ago and it's carried on as if it was yesterday....

Don't you just get this picture of a skeleton covered in cobwebs sat there waiting for a reply.....Ha Ha...

Remember all the above and walking up the gennal that went behind the dairy to get to the Addeydale, and as a kid going round the back and queuing to get in the 7d pit.....

Edited by grinder

Do you remember the cow which stood in the window of Express Dairy? We also went up the footpath which ran up from Broadfield Road to Abbeydale Road, I think it was called something like Rose Walk.

Can see it now Duffems.

I lived on Carter Road Heeley in the 50s & early 60s. If I went to the Abbeydale with the lads we would walk down Thirlwell rd across London rd then turn down saxon rd under the railway bridge, around the corner there was a small gennal with a bridge across the Sheaf, then across Broadfield rd and up Rose walk....

I also used Broadfield road baths a lot for swimming when at school and of course with the house having no bath room I also used the slipper baths there, so was up and down past the Dairy quite a lot..

Funny to think back, that we didn't even have a hot tap on the sink...

Edited by grinder

Did you call at the corner shop on Little London to get your traffic light lolly when you'd been to the swimming baths? We used to be walked from Carfield Junior School in "two by two" formation all the way down to Broadfield Road Baths, call at the shop then all the way back up again.

Years later when we were "courting" we did the same journey to Abbeydale Pictures but, we didn't buy the lollies then we went to Pop's for sarsaparilla, how grown up we thought we were.

Strangely enough, 39 years of marriage and neither of us can remember the films we saw, I wonder why!

Duffems.

The cow in the curved window at the dairy had a recording of a 'moo' noise didn't it. The little footpath is still there and I walk up it every now and then although I can't imagine why it would ever of been called Rose Walk, it's not the nicest of footpaths.

The cow in the curved window at the dairy had a recording of a 'moo' noise didn't it. The little footpath is still there and I walk up it every now and then although I can't imagine why it would ever of been called Rose Walk, it's not the nicest of footpaths.

Loads of these names go back into the mists of time, look at The Moor.

Probably was relevant once upon a time,

The proper name for 'Rose Walk' is Primrose Walk,

it most likely got it's name from from 'The Primrose'

the name of a meadow that was once situated by the river near to Broadfield Rd,

prior to the course of the river being diverted.

m&p

Edited by me-and-pippo
spelling ;-)

I used to go to sharrow lane school and we all walked down to the baths in the old two by two method

when i think now its a good walk for 9-10 yr olds

I too went to Sharrow Lane School and we also walked there two by two down what I aways remember as Primrose Walk, later as we got older we were allowed to go to the baths unsupervised and on the way back we would call at a shop on the corner of Sellars Street and Aizlewood Road and buy a

1d breadcake for our dinner.

In keeping with the thread I spent many happy hours in the Abbeydale Cinema and have cherished memories of it.

Do any of you also remember the temperance bar about four doors down the road. (towards town)

As kids we used to go in there after going to the pictures and get a pint of sasperella in a dimple beer mug. There was a proper bar and bench seating just like in a real pub. lol

A pint of sasperala after swimming at Heely baths or coming out the Abbeydale, those surely were the days.

I too went to Sharrow Lane School and we also walked there two by two down what I aways remember as Primrose Walk, later as we got older we were allowed to go to the baths unsupervised and on the way back we would call at a shop on the corner of Sellars Street and Aizlewood Road and buy a

1d breadcake for our dinner.

In keeping with the thread I spent many happy hours in the Abbeydale Cinema and have cherished memories of it.

I lived on fentonville st. 2 roads up from Washington road, I went to Sharrow Lane school until I was 11 aprox 1957'ish